C2C conditions Early April 2021

General Palm Springs area.

C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby rlabatt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 am

Hello All - I'm considering C2C or C2T the first week of April 5 or 8, 2021 and am curious about current and perhaps expected conditions next week. FWIW I'm a 2x R2R2R runner, avid trail runner and a bunch of other endurance stuff.
If there is someone who wants to hike C2C with me (covid precautions and all) I'd be open to discussing.

rob
rlabatt
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby doctorrobert66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 pm

I'll probably go up either April 4 or 5, but will possibly turn around if the snow gets significant, since I don't have snow gear. I've gone up from Idlyllwild a couple times, but never the C2C.
doctorrobert66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Howdy Rob and drrobert66 :)

We have many fast people on this forum but I'm not one of them :lol You're more likely to encounter fast hikers/trail runners on weekends, especially Saturdays.

Temperatures have been above normal in the desert, so some folks are starting earlier than usual this time of year to beat the heat.

The traverse still has substantial snow, but there's a good track to follow. I use Hillsound running crampons and poles for the traverse because I'm a klutz :wink:

I don't wear a mask when I'm hiking. Masks are required for the tram, taxis, Lyft and Uber.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby doctorrobert66 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure about snow, and didn't have traction gear, but went up anyway on Mon, starting around dawn. Temperatures were nice enough that early, with a breeze that helped. I got to 5k feet or so and was discouraged by some brutal winds, and also concerned the tram might not be running in windy conditions, so along with my uncertainty about snow/ice, I turned back. Left a Clif shot in Rescue #1. It was a a bit warm as I got back down (96 F). I'm used to desert hiking/climbing in these sorts of temperatures and knew I could handle the heat, though it slowed me down. Had 4.5L of water, used most of it. Wish I'd got all the way to the tram, but I still had a great day and enjoyed the epic views and flora. I hope to try again soon.

Bobby
doctorrobert66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am

Bobby,
Thanks for sharing your experience. There's a lot of folks, (hopefully they'll find this M board), that can benefit from someone who did the right thing, considering the situation. Winds can be a real drag, (one of the only times I turned around was wind), and may have iced up the top area even more. Coming down from 5k is a tough slog, and you have to pay attention & not get lazy and misstep. Good thing you brought the water you did. Fyi, it usually takes some strong winds whipping up, (or down) Chino Canyon, (which is rare), for the tram to shut down, but they have in the past, (as can be the case w lightning).
Well, now you have the ultimate training for your return to the climb. scott
guest
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby doctorrobert66 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks Scott!

Coming down is a slog indeed, and somehow even easier to get off trail than on the way up. C2C2C sounds painful and possibly something I'd not be in a hurry to do, but who knows. This is also good training for Mt Whitney, which I'm attempting in a few weeks, and I'll surely be back to attempt Skyline in full.
doctorrobert66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 am

Howdy Bobby :)

Wow :o As Scott noted, you made the correct decision. Recently learned that the tram closed on Monday April 5 due to the wind :shock:

When the tram was closed due to Covid, I did several Skyline hikes with friends up to 4.3 and back. Descending into 95+ degree heat was a real drag.

Have a great time on Whitney 8)

I've only done C2C (desert peak-tram). I have no desire to subject my body to a 8 K descent :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PS Scott is one of the fast Skyliners.
Ellen
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby doctorrobert66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Good to know I guessed right about the tram!

Hope to see you all on the Skyline sometime.
doctorrobert66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby xcnuck » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am

hello all -

I was looking for information regarding water sources at the base of the Skyline Trail around the art museum. Does anyone know if there is a water fountain or bathroom sink or something at/near the trailhead? Thank you!
xcnuck
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am

Re: C2C conditions Early April 2021

Postby doctorrobert66 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:14 pm

Turns out the day I hiked, earlier that morning a solo hiker saw a mountain lion on Skyline and called the police. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=4196090580425317&id=1048769248490815 I was wondering why game wardens were in the museum parking lot when I set off. Did not see the cat myself.
doctorrobert66
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests