Skyline this Saturday

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Marknhj » Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Perry wrote:
Marknhj wrote:The tram guy told me earlier that the guy in distress descended from Flat Rock (which sounds pretty horrible in itself...)

He also said that the large group that went up yesterday left litter all over the trail; someone came up behind them with a trash bag full. Empty water bottles etc....Cynthia?


Who said that? One of the tramcar operators gets bored and makes up stuff.


When I returned to the top tram station yesterday the guy thought I'd come up Skyline and tried to ticket me. When I said I'd hadn't he apologized, said a large group had come up on Saturday, then made the comments above. True or not, it was his and another staff member's perception (and we know where that leads...)
Marknhj
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Glad to meet some of the"Board" this past Saturda

Postby THETRACK » Mon May 12, 2008 4:18 pm

What a pleasure to run into some of the regulars this past Saturday. Met Zippy, TinaB, and saw a few others. I have been a regualr for twice a year since 2001. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall. We started at Ramone at 5:19am and had a 7 hour pace going until....my memory went "bye-bye" at the final ascent and we literally took over 40 minutes to locate the trail up. How embarassing!!!...Oh well, it was a beautiful day and many people. Thanks again for this "site" and hope to see you all in October!!

THETRACK ( Lyle )
THETRACK
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:24 am

Postby guest » Tue May 13, 2008 10:29 am

Maybe he wasn't making up the trash story.
I saw plenty on Sun, and I mentioned it.
It's very sad that pigs have to leave this stuff behind.
I don't know who left it, what group they are from, but it was as trashy as I've seen the trail this season.
Empty water bottles, kleenex, tp, foil, wrappers, and to top if off, someone took a dump, a foot from the trail towards the top, it may not have been a Skyliner, who knows.
guest
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Postby tinaballina » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am

guest wrote:Maybe he wasn't making up the trash story.
I saw plenty on Sun, and I mentioned it.
It's very sad that pigs have to leave this stuff behind.
I don't know who left it, what group they are from, but it was as trashy as I've seen the trail this season.
Empty water bottles, kleenex, tp, foil, wrappers, and to top if off, someone took a dump, a foot from the trail towards the top, it may not have been a Skyliner, who knows.


SS, that is horrible. when i was on the trail saturday, i did see some trash as well. this is partially why i didn't stop at any given spot, i didn't want anyone to think the trash around me was mine.
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 pm

tinaballina wrote:Hikin Jim, i didn't see you or did i and not introduce myself????

Hi, Tina, no you didn't see me. "Hikin'" Jim has turned into "Domestic" Jim, for the time being. The San Jacintos are 4.5 to 5 hrs round trip away from my place. Can't carve out the time right now. Wedding "Thank you's", replacing some of my "bachelor" furniture (Michiko, one time when she came over when we were dating, started going around the house saying, "that goes, this we can donate, this we get rid of". LOL. Stuff that never would have occured to me. "What? It's all stainless steel. Why does it matter that they're of different makes and span several decades (50's - 70's) of time? LOL. I guess I have to get a new "handle," maybe "Homebound Jim" instead of "Hikin' Jim."

Y'all, start posting more photos, please! The withdrawal symptoms are really kicking in. I haven't done a backpack since September! Nooooo! :cry: Maybe someone can mail me a pine cone? :D
Last edited by Hikin_Jim on Tue May 13, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Trash is as trash drops (with apologies to Forest Gump).

I hate that when people take a dump close to the trail. Disgusting! I was hiking in a beautiful tundra like area last summer at 11,000 or 12,000 feet, there it was, sitting maybe 3" from the trail. Someone had squatted on the trail leaving the effluent teetering on the high side of the trail. People!
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Rick M » Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Maybe it's not "Time to 'FIX' the Skyline Trail", only attract more people and trash. :(
I filled my pockets this weekend but mostly old mylar balloons and very little trash on the Round Valley to SanJ trail through Tamarack. It was really very clean up there. :D
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby tinaballina » Tue May 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:
tinaballina wrote:Hikin Jim, i didn't see you or did i and not introduce myself????

Hi, Tina, no you didn't see me. "Hikin'" Jim has turned into "Domestic" Jim, for the time being. The San Jacintos are 4.5 to 5 hrs round trip away from my place.

I drive to LA every month for my hair, dentist (which i did sunday morning then went with the family for mothers day up the tram to eat for brunch) and doctor. so get your butt out here for hiking....lol...i am just being difficult and giving you a hard time.
Domesticated is a good thing.
:)
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Postby guest » Tue May 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Tina, Jim & Rick,

It's disappointing, and I probably could have picked up more than I did, (my summer pack is packed full usually).
Maybe your right Rick, re. "fixing" the route, (besides, I've scoped the upper area out, ain't very practical to re-route the route, even if SP allowed it, which I really doubt).

At least the route's a bitch, which will keep many away, and it's gettin warmer now, so let's hope they heed that warning too.

See ya on the dusty trail!

ss
guest
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Postby tinaballina » Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 pm

[quote="guest"]Hi Tina, Jim & Rick,

See ya on the dusty trail!

True true, i was going to do baldy on sunday but it looks like i won't due to the fire that is currently burning so i hope to see you on skyline sunday.
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests