Trail Suggestions

General Palm Springs area.

Trail Suggestions

Postby JoelVP » Tue May 13, 2008 9:45 am

I am coming up from San Diego with a couple of friends. None of us have hiked on San Jac before. We are using this little trip as training for our Mt. Whitney trip later in the summer. The goal is for the altitude, not necessarily the number of miles. Does any one have a trail suggestion? I have been looking at Marion Mtn or Devil's Slide, but we are open.
JoelVP
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 9:40 am

Postby Rick M » Tue May 13, 2008 11:51 am

You'll get a little higher up in elevation on San Gorgonio via maybe Vivian Creek trail.
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 am

The Marion Mountain Trail is definitely the steeper of the two. Great work out. It's very shaded in many parts. I would think that you would run into some snow, particularly between Little Round Valley and the summit. I haven't been there recently; I'm extrapolating from other people's posts. If someone posts who has hiked it in the last couple of weeks, don't listen to me!

The Devil's Slide trail generally has more sun and the snow melts off quicker. I would think that if the snow got really bad on the DST, that you could turn around at a point that would still give you some good elevation.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest