phoenix desert rats invading the mountain Friday May 9

General Palm Springs area.

phoenix desert rats invading the mountain Friday May 9

Postby phoenixhiker » Tue May 06, 2008 11:07 pm

this is my first hike in Palm Springs therefore my first c2c. I hope I am using the right term.... we are planning to start in town and hike to the summit. Are the trail conditions above the tram (May 9) doable for someone without winter ascent experience? I have hiked rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon and understand hiking in heat with elevation gain. I am primarily concerned about snow, ice and route finding. Anything to worry about?
phoenixhiker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: phoenix

R. to R. to R

Postby Mountaingoat » Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 am

Hello ph-hiker,

I think, by my experience you shouldn't have a problem May 9th.

Question: How long did it take you to do R. to R. to R.??

Berne Mettenleiter
Mountaingoat
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Rancho Bernardo/ San Diego

Postby phoenixhiker » Wed May 07, 2008 8:34 am

thank you Mt Goat. My fastest time north to south is 6.5 hours, up Bright Angel. R-R-R..my first this oct '07, I spent the night on the north and went back the next day.. technically it doesn't count as the "death march". So, no PB to track yet.
phoenixhiker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: phoenix

6.5 hours

Postby Mountaingoat » Wed May 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Holy guacamole, that means 3.84 miles an hour and roughly 11000' elevation gain or loss. quite impressive!

The reason I asked about the time was, that in 2004 I did North Rim to South Rim and back to the North Rim in 16 hours. (May 13th high temp at the bottom was 96F. relatively cool for the canyon)

Anyway I hope to see out on the trail sometime,

I am thinking of doing c2c possibly May 18th!

Berne
Mountaingoat
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Rancho Bernardo/ San Diego


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest