Hiking Skyline May, 2008?

General Palm Springs area.

Hiking Skyline - May 2008

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 01, 2008 1:43 pm

John and Terry - We will have to keep an eye on the fire situation in the San Jacintos. Doreen who lives in Palm Springs near the Skyline trail said that her car was covered in ashes this morning and full containment could take a few more days. We can always go the following Saturday and join outdoorsclub.org
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Marknhj » Sun May 04, 2008 8:33 am

Made it up yesterday for the first time. Group of seven of us, none of whom I'd met before: Doreen and her friend Stacy, Tina, Dan, Mike and Jamie.

We got to 4300' in three hours and then the party broke up. Stacy, Tina, Dan and I pushed on and lost sight of the others. I'd never been beyond 5500' before, so didn't know what to expect. Stacy lead about 100m ahead of us. We stopped for about 10 minutes at Flat Rock then carried on to the top. The last 1.5 hours were certainly a calf/quad/butt burner to a level I'd never felt before, but Tina, Dan and I talked non-stop and played a word game to take our mind off it. They also advised, "Don't look up to see how steep it is!".

Was pleased to arrive at the top in 6 hours 55 minutes (including short stops). Thoroughly enjoyed hiking with Tina and Dan, so thanks guys for leading me into unknown territory. It was a shame that Cynthia couldn't make it as she's been showing me the mountain ropes since the picnic. But she wasn't feeling well.

Cynthia - if Tina and Dan report that in your absence I left a trail of litter all over the mountain, it's not true!
Marknhj
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Hiking Skyline - May 2008

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 am

Well done Mark, Doreen, Tina and the others. I could kick myself for not going.
I will join the big group from the outdoorsclub next Saturday.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby drndr » Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Mark, once again congratulations for doing Skyline. Always a great accomplishment! Hope you're feeling fine today. We'll have to get a trip report from Tina because I'm pretty sure she turned around and did it again today
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Riverside

Postby tinaballina » Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Cynthia - if Tina and Dan report that in your absence I left a trail of litter all over the mountain, it's not true![/quote]

LOL, I gave him my trash to hold on to, good looking mark.

The mind games help soooooooooo much, thanks to dan for suggesting them. i tried to play them today with Adam but his mind was not working so well. I started talking to myself (which i do often on hikes) to keep sane. I also counted sheep, 6,798 of them....LOL
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Postby tinaballina » Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Cynthia - if Tina and Dan report that in your absence I left a trail of litter all over the mountain, it's not true![/quote]

LOL, I gave him my trash to hold on to, good looking mark.

The mind games help soooooooooo much, thanks to dan for suggesting them. i tried to play them today with Adam but his mind was not working so well. I started talking to myself (which i do often on hikes) to keep sane. I also counted sheep, 6,798 of them....LOL
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests