Do Nalgene bottles cause cancer ?

General Palm Springs area.

Do Nalgene bottles cause cancer ?

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am

Sean Nealon of the Press Enterprise is doing an article on Nalgene plastic water bottles and would like our opinion of the cancer risk that they may cause. The heat on Skyline poses a risk of contamination. His e mail is
snealon@PE.com
Here is another link that discusses the problem
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36992
He would like to do the full c2c this time.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 pm

I've emailed this on to Sean:

I normally fill my bottles before a hike and drink from them through out the day. I don't think much leaching can occur in such a short time, and I don't hike every day. I don't use my Polycarb ("Lexan") bottles for day to day use, and I don't store water in them for long periods of time. I think my exposure is so minimal that I continue to use my Polcarbonate (the clear ones) Nalgene bottles.

I do have HDPE Nalgene bottles (the white "milky" colored plastic ones) that I use for overnight or longer term storage.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Rick M » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:23 pm

:D Anybody not wanting to use their polycarbonate bottles I will gladly take them...I keep some of my rocket propellant chemicals in them.
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby phydeux » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Rick M wrote::D Anybody not wanting to use their polycarbonate bottles I will gladly take them...I keep some of my rocket propellant chemicals in them.


That's an interesting hiking strategy. Does that serve as a combination hydration/quick energy methodolgy on longer hikes? :wink:
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
User avatar
phydeux
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Orange County, CA.


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests