Most consecutive Skyline trips

General Palm Springs area.

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:13 am

Real men put their family first. I bet if your wife read your post it would make her day. :D
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 am

Right On Fight On. Family First.

Osama (aka Steve Fausset) has done C2C at least twice in one day, I will have to ask him if he ever did it three times.

re Zip's "diet"--Dude, from what I have seen, you have maybe a 4 percent body fat! Why on earth would you need to diet? UR perfect the way UR 8)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 pm

C23, You got that right! Nobody in their "Right Mind" could think otherwise.
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:21 pm

zippetydude wrote:I think 3 times in a day is very possible, but you'd have to do it smart.

You put "Skyline 3 times in a day" and "smart" into the same sentence? :shock:

I looked in the latest edition of Webster's and Z's sentence is in it -- right next to the word "oxymoron."
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby zippetydude » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:50 am

Good to have you back, Jim. I enjoy your posts.

Are you ready to hit the trails out here again?

Skyline is just calling out to us this time of year...as a matter of fact, I imagine it's teasing Ellen horribly! I'll be out there myself in the next couple of weeks. I might go Saturday, but I'm thinking about doing my first triathlon on Sunday, and I kinda hate to go into my very first tri feeling pooped from Skyline the day before.

By the way, what's your take on the consecutive days idea? Do you think it would gradually get harder, or just feel miserable every day after the first day, or...?

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 pm

I think the accumulation of rolling pin dents on my forehead after spending that much time training (away from Michiko) would definitely cause the pain to increase over time. :lol:

Seriously, though, it would depend. For an ultra runner, it might not be such a huge thing. If one is accustomed to exertions over the same amount or greater of hours as it would take to complete successive Skylines, then it might not be that bad.

The proper question might therefore be, "what's it to you?" In other words, how hard is Skyline for you? If you go up and it's no big deal and you feel fine the next day, then maybe the sucessive trips wouldn't be that bad. On the other hand, if Skyline is something you build up to, train extensively for, and you're really spent afterwards for several days, then doing it repeatedly is probably not even an option. I suppose that there would be a continuum between those two examples.

In general, even for the fittest, there would have to be a decrease in performance over time and an increase in suffering.

I think you'd have to determine for yourself just how taxing Skyline is for you. If it's not a big deal, just part of your regular training, then successive tries in one day or on contiguous days might be an option. You might want to consider, though, the possibility of "bonking" on a second or third attempt. The Rick K's of this world not withstanding, I think everyone has his or her limits. If that limit were reached in the middle of Skyline, that might be very very bad. Unlike a marathon, there's no nearby aid station. I think Skyline's inaccesibility is something to throw into the mix as you consider challenging yourself.

As for me personally getting back on the trail, I probably won't be doing anything too ambitious any time soon. I've got quite a "honey do" list, and I'm really out of shape having neglected regular excercise during the last month or two leading up to the wedding. I'm also suffering from some kind of hip inflammation, but hopefully that's temporary. I'm going to do some hiking this weekend in the SGW and see how that goes. Maybe Skyline in the fall...
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 pm

Hip inflammation? HELLO! :roll: You just got married remember? :D
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 am

Ah, FIGHT ON, ever the soul of discretion you are. It's your gentility of phrase that endears you so.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

How are the abs doing? :D

But on a serious note, if it's the hip flexors, it could be the weight of the hiking boots, crampons, snowshoes, etc.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Hip flexors -- those go along the side of the leg or down the front of the leg from the abdomen to the upper leg? I haven't been working out like I usually do due to the wedding and stuff, so it could very well be that I can't carry weight like I normally can.

Oh, weight will do it? Hmm. Does carrying a bride over a threshold count? :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest