Desert Sun Best of Valley Hikes

General Palm Springs area.

Desert Sun Best of Valley Hikes

Postby halhiker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 am

Once again the Desert Sun has published it's Best of Valley Edition and once again the paper's readers have proclaimed their ignorance.

http://local.mydesert.com/bestof/results_recreation.php

For the desert's best hike the readers voted for the Bump and Grind Trail in Rancho Mirage. This is perhaps the WORST trail in the area for severals reasons but because it's close to the city it's one of the most widely used. A lot of people use it as an outdoor stairmaster and I would imagine those who voted for it have never hiked another trail. It is a shame because we have some very beautiful trails in the area.

Of course, I don't agree with many of the results of this poll. And that makes me happy. It makes me think I still have some taste.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 am

I agree with you, Halhiker, but as previously noted, the Desert Sun is not even sure how high Mt. San Jacinto is. The Desert Sun is owned by Gannett and Gannett's major interest lies in laying off reporters. They are desperate to avoid anything that requires actual investigation and try to stuff the paper with as much reader-supplied copy as is humanly possible. Soon, I don't doubt, the entire newspaper will be run by robots.

On the plus side, at least this keeps the masses off the prettier trails. ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:51 am

It's ironic because the connector trail between Hoppalong Cassidy and upper B&G is way better! It's hardcore singletrack and I felt like I was in the sierras above tree line when I did it back in February. Starts right behind Target. I saw two people on that trail, tons on Bump n' Grind. On the plus side, Palm Desert seems to have a solid outdoors crowd.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby magikwalt » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 pm

I love B&G...It keeps all that spandex off of the real desert hikes .
User avatar
magikwalt
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:53 pm

You must be referring to type m. I certainly don't mind type f. :D
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby halhiker » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Perry wrote:You must be referring to type m. I certainly don't mind type f. :D


Actually, for type f, I believe spandex is the preferred hiking attire. :D It's one reason I prefer not to lead--because the scenery never changes.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests