how high can we go before snow/ice?

General Palm Springs area.

how high can we go before snow/ice?

Postby johnnyb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm

newbie here...thanks for all the great info, btw.
we were planning on doing SJ peak in the next couple of weeks, but after learning here about current conditions we've changed our minds (we're not crampon/ice-axe ready).

So, how high can we go before the snow/ice?
Is Tahquitz peak do-able?
Any other favorite lower elevation places?
We'd like to do 3 days/2 nights.

Thanks for any info,
John.
johnnyb
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Postby Rick M » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi, I went up SanJ last Sunday/Monday via Devil's Slide Trail out of Humber Park and hit patches of snow half way up Devil's Slide and total snow/ice at Saddle Junction and above. It hardens up real slick when the sun isn't shinning on it. All I can say is I was glad I had my crampons and ice axe!
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm

What was your elevation when the ice became an obstacle?

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Rick M » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 pm

7,020' (right where the trail hits the parking lot!). On the way down, tired from not having slept, I caught my heal by not lifting my foot high enough over one of those 10-12' water bars on the trail and fell on my hands. Then walking down the trail and not paying attention while looking at my hands I slipped on an ice patch at the parking lot (no crampons on at the time).

On the way up (in moonlight) I was forced for safety, to begin the process of putting on and removing my crampons beginning at the first stream crossing and finally leaving them on at Saddle Junction. There were some places I would not have needed them if it was daytime but I just got tired of putting them on and off. I did stop to touch them up near Wellman Divide.
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby johnnyb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks Rick for the details...good info to have.
Unfortunately it sounds like we can't get very far for what we were thinking.
I still have a couple of weeks but things might not change that much that soon. Looks like we might need to find someplace else.
Unless anybody knows different areas that might be lower & doable?
johnnyb
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 pm

so what about Santa Rosa mts???

Postby johnnyb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 pm

I've pretty much decided that SJ won't work this time, but what about the Santa Rosa Mts? I don't have any experience with these...and lower peaks that are fun? Still hoping to find a spot to do a 3day/2niter, but without the snow/ice gear.

Any knowledge shared would be appreciated. Thanks!
johnnyb
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 pm


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests