Two Hikers Lost Near Carumba ...

General Palm Springs area.

Two Hikers Lost Near Carumba ...

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:04 pm

I saw this on the RMRU website: Two Hikers Lost Near Carumba with no further details. Anyone got any further info?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Jim Bakos » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey Jim:

Our website has had a few problems, but we've fixed most of the bugs now. You should be seeing better updates from here on out.

I know the write-up on Carumba is done, it should be posted to the web shortly.

Hike Safe!

--Jim
User avatar
Jim Bakos
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:59 am
Location: SoCal...

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks, Jim

----

P.S. Nice avatar!
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Jim: Interesting post.

I read it, and it looked like Jim was talking to Jimself. Turns out no, he (Jim B) was talking to Mr. Jim (Hikin J) who has Jim as a last name. Now that I've got it sorted out, it is all strikingly clear to me. Sorta.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Two hikers lost near Carumba

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:43 am

Ay Carumba :)
I didnt know where it was until I found this
http://tchester.org/sb/plants/guides/caramba_east.html

I also found this search and rescue website for the San Bernadinos who also help out in the San Jacintos
http://www.sbsar.org/joomla/
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Jim Bakos » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Yeah, I had to change my Avatar because of “legal” worries -- I can’t use the team logo any longer. So… All the advice I give is from Jim Bakos and is NOT associated with any organized Mountain Search and Rescue Team (Sigh!).

No good deed goes unpunished….

Hike Safe!

--Jim
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants -- Isaac Newton
User avatar
Jim Bakos
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:59 am
Location: SoCal...

Postby zippetydude » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Actually, Jim, I perceive you as a very straightforward guy. It's probably best that you don't have to worry about being politically correct - I'd rather hear your personal opinion than one that's been edited to try to keep some fool from trying to sue SAR. You and SAR both deserve better.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 am

Jim Bakos wrote: .... I had to change my Avatar because of “legal” worries .... All the advice I give is .... NOT associated with any organized Mountain Search and Rescue Team ....
One of the first chapters in the reference book Fundamentals of SAR addresses many legal issues of SAR.
Rob
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Jim Bakos wrote:I know the write-up on Carumba is done, it should be posted to the web shortly.
After reading dozens of mission reports at http://www.rmru.org, I concluded that Carumba is a place that collects lost hikers. I Googled the name and found background information on the origin of the word Carumba-Caramba according to Wikipedia and Wiktionary. :oops:
Rob
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: San Diego, CA


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests