Crampon Suggestions

General Palm Springs area.

Postby AlanK » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

HikeUp wrote:
Rick M wrote:I have become so sedimental...


I love typos. New words almost everyday! :D


Great addition to the language. I have certainly had my share of sedimental days.
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby Rick M » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:55 pm

As a geologist, we deal in a lot of sediments...never said I was an "english teacher". Let's not get all sentimental about this!
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby HikeUp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 pm

LOL. This crampon question has been bugging me too. I've been debating taking the next step up to winter snow/ice hiking, but I've been "sedentary" on the issue for long enough that I think the ice has nearly melted and I can put off the issue until next year again!
HikeUp
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby Rick M » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Pup started this with
...I'd appreciate suggestions to help get me out of the stone-age.

Just the mention of "stone" brought the geologist out of me
...alternating hard snow and rocky trail dirt up to Saddle Junction

Ever wonder the composition of trail dirt? Locally in the San Jacintos a mixture of schist (not a typo), granite, crushed pine needles and other biological stuff I'm not about to atttempt to spell, synthetic rubber compounds from footware, hiker discards, H2O this time of year changing phases depending of time of day, and anything anyone else might want to contribute.

Hiking in other areas would be easier on your crampon points (Clark Mountain for instance) because of the "softer" limestone if you go there when it has any snow/ice.

Hike Up says
I think the ice has nearly melted and I can put off the issue until next year again!

With global warming, there may not be any for "next year".
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:52 pm

I'm very happy with my Black Diamonds, but these are the only pair I've ever owned. However they seem bombproof and are not horribly heavy. I feel safe in them.

RickM, are you really a geologist??? I need one!!! Seriously! PM me dude!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:30 pm

I like the chrome-moly steel Kahtulas. Not the aluminum Kahtulas unless it's a low-angle slope, such as a trail, and nothing too icy. But the steel ones are longer, sharper, and the front points are angled forward a bit more. They are lighter than other steel crampons. Aluminums are nice for running because the front points won't snag and trip.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby Pup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:07 am

just a follow up. I really appreciate some of your responses and did wind up purchasing a pair of Petzl Charlet flex strap. Walked up to the summit of San Jacinto yesterday and they worked fine.
Personally, I did trip over myself a few times and gashed my leg pretty good but that was just user error and getting used to crampons after so many years.
Thanks again for the help
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:48 am
Location: Cathedral City

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm

If there's a thin layer of slush, the steel Kahtula's get very bad traction. They only penetrate 1" and do not have a lot of side area on the spikes. My climbing partner used Grivel's yesterday and had much better footing.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests