Wildflowers and desert peaks

General Palm Springs area.

Postby MikeJ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:44 pm

I didn't realize the flowers were out. I need to head out there RIGHT NOW! Or, as soon as I can.
MikeJ
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:45 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Postby Snow Nymph » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Cy! Those numbers are a little over a year old now. We don’t get the weekly numbers from from SmugMug, which I’ve been using for over a year now, so we’ve lost track of the hits, etc. We haven’t had time to update the website, and my web designer (SnowDude) is leaving soon for 6 months to work in Australia and I don’t know how to do it myself. Someday we’ll catch up. Thanks for linking me to your site!
:D

Thanks, guys, and thanks for the flower ID, some guy! That was my first time seeing the lilac sunbonnet!
User avatar
Snow Nymph
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Hawthorne & Mammoth Lakes, CA

Old Woman Mountain

Postby Snow Nymph » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:32 am

We moved north to hike the next 2 days, and the flowers were not as spectacular. There were some, but scattered here and there.



Saturday, March 8, 2008 (day 2 of 3)
Old Woman Mountain, east of Mojave National Preserve

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/44 ... #265178528

We camped near Amboy, then drove 34 miles to Carbonate Gulch, trailhead for Old Woman Mountain. We did a loop trip, up Route D of the DPS guide, and down Route C. Nice day!

Amboy Crater from camp . . . Flowers are out at the crater
Image

Canteberry Bells
Image

collared lizard
Image

cool budding cactus
Image

some flowers on the way out
Image
Image
User avatar
Snow Nymph
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Hawthorne & Mammoth Lakes, CA

Postby simonov » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am

How long do you think the flowers will be out at the crater? I'm heading out there on the 29th.
Nunc est bibendum
User avatar
simonov
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Wildflowers

Postby Rick M » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:51 am

I am really surprised the flowers are lasting as long as they are. We were also out hiking out at Amboy crater three weeks ago and the flowers were spectacular at that time. We counted 13 different types (I'm a geologist by education and flowers to me are blue, red, yellow, etc.). When I volunteered in the fire department a friend in the department said they were just "weeds to burn"...go figure.

What camera do you use Snow Nymph? Are you using a tripod? Your photos look so crisp compared to mine.
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby Snow Nymph » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Simonov, I’m not sure how long the flowers will last at Amboy Crater. It looked like a lot out there, so maybe you’ll get lucky.

RickM, I’m using the Canon S80 right now, and will be getting the Canon G9 soon. I also use the S70 when the S80 is in the shop. My 4 cameras take turns getting repaired (2 of each). The S80 takes great flower pix. Can’t do that with the S70. No, I don’t use a tripod, I just take a lot of flower pix, and delete the ones that don’t come out.


AlanK wrote:I'd move over if that was behind me on the 395!
Image


that photo reminded me of this:

Can you imagine some guy going 90 mph on the interstate with these balloons?
Image
User avatar
Snow Nymph
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Hawthorne & Mammoth Lakes, CA

Wildflowers and Desert Peaks

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 am

Here are some more good flora pictures which I found on the net.
http://www.my-photo-blog.com/category/photos
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby MooseTracks » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:17 am

Snowy: That AWESOME! I need to find me some of thos balloons!
-L 8)
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." -Colette Richard
User avatar
MooseTracks
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Bishop, CA

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am

Here's some I took yesterday http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562775028qTdqgp. The canyon where these are located is about a mile south of CA178 in Weldon.
User avatar
Kevin
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 am

Those are great pictures Snow. I like the second pic best. My favorite Purple Lupine. They look even better mixed in with California Poppies.

The flowers that bloom in the spring,
Tra la,
Breathe promise of merry sunshine —
As we merrily dance and we sing,
Tra la,
We welcome the hope that they bring,
Tra la,
Of a summer of roses and wine,
Of a summer of roses and wine.
And that's what we mean when we say that a thing
Is welcome as flowers that bloom in the spring.
Tra la la la la,
Tra la la la la,
The flowers that bloom in the spring.
Nanki-Poo.

FIGHT ON
User avatar
FIGHT ON
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Trousdale Parkway

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests