likely conditions in mid April?

General Palm Springs area.

likely conditions in mid April?

Postby eeyun » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi there,

I'm wondering what the likely snow situation will be on San Jacinto in mid April. I will be down from Vancouver BC for a conference in San Diego, and would like to climb the mountain on my way up to LA to visit a friend. I will likely stay overnight on the mountain, and will probably just take the tourist trail from the tram.

I'm wondering what footwear will be appropriate. I presume I will be able to leave my plastic boots and snowshoes at home, so I'm stuck deciding between my approach shoes and my boots, which basically hinges on whether crampons will be a necessity (and along with them, an axe).

What say you wise and learned SoCal hikers?

Since I'm travelling for work, I'd prefer to keep the bulk down and ditch the boots and axe, but if needed, I will bring them.
eeyun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Postby lipbiter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

eeyun,

you really need to check the weather conditions the week of your trip. trying to predict the snow "situation" on San J four weeks in advance is like trying to predict whether Britney Spears will be in rehab. very unpredictable. we've had raging snow storms as late as May before.

try querying again in April. :wink:
lipbiter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:42 pm

You may already know, but you do need a permit to stay out overnight. The Park's home page has some info and a permit application: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636. Some of the more popular locations (Round Valley, Tamarack) do book up.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby eeyun » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I'll keep a bead on the conditions, and keep an eye out for trip reports coming in the next month. If worst comes to worst, I will just bring the boots, pons, and axe to make sure I can get up it.

Thanks for the advice about the permit, I'll make sure to book in advance.

Cheers
eeyun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:12 pm

lipbiter wrote:... trying to predict the snow "situation" on San J four weeks in advance is like trying to predict whether Britney Spears will be in rehab. very unpredictable. ...

That's one of the funniest things ever posted here. Perhaps the funniest?... :?:
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby eeyun » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi all,

Well I have been checking conditions and recent reports, and I have decided to bring my crampons to ensure I'm able to get up and around the peak.

My only remaining question is to whether there is a more efficient way to obtain a wilderness permit than by mail. I put it off until now assuming that there would be an online method of securing a camp spot and obtaining a permit, but I have yet to find it. I would like to stay on the mountain somewhere, either at the Round Valley or Little Round Valley sites.

Is snail mail the only way? If so, I'll need to post it off post-haste!
eeyun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm

You can walk into the ranger station and get a camping permit, with space available. After hours, they leave permits outside that are valid only on that night. If you go up on Sunday through Thursday night, chances are there are permits outside. Friday and Saturday nights are popular, especially in the summer. Since it's only April, I would call the Idyllwild office (State Park, not USFS) to see if any large groups have already reserved camping on Friday and Saturday. If not, chances are you're good to go...
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby eeyun » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Perry wrote:You can walk into the ranger station and get a camping permit, with space available. After hours, they leave permits outside that are valid only on that night. If you go up on Sunday through Thursday night, chances are there are permits outside. Friday and Saturday nights are popular, especially in the summer. Since it's only April, I would call the Idyllwild office (State Park, not USFS) to see if any large groups have already reserved camping on Friday and Saturday. If not, chances are you're good to go...


Thanks Perry,

I will be there on a Wednesday night, so I was hoping it would be a little less busy. I will cross my fingers and hop that I can snag a spot at one of the sites up on the mountain then.

Cheers!
eeyun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Postby tinaballina » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Perry wrote:
lipbiter wrote:... trying to predict the snow "situation" on San J four weeks in advance is like trying to predict whether Britney Spears will be in rehab. very unpredictable. ...

That's one of the funniest things ever posted here. Perhaps the funniest?... :?:


This was pretty good i have to give you that.
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests