Skyline Trail - Mar 8

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Jennifer » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Whether it be Whitney, San Jacinto, San Gorgornio, or any of the other really "tough" mountains iin southern California - another young man on this board mentioned about how he could never get really good information from lcals because they all want to make it seem like "OMG don't do it, you will surely die!!!"

He stated what I have found to be true from most of the younger hikers who have hiked with me "What's the big deal - This isn't Mt Everest"

Now, what is the average age of the posters here? Do you guys mind my asking your age, and maybe you might realize that IT IS REALLY NOT THAT HARD A HIKE. No matter how hard you try and make yourself feel better by convincing experienced hikers that it is a REALLY HARD AND DANGEROUS HIKE.

BTW Hal, I've never heard of you going out on one of those SAR hikes that make you so sick and tired of people who don't live within 20 minutes of Palm Springs, and they get in trouble.

It's not that hard of a hike - whether you are a LOCAL - or just an experienced hiker that has hiked much tougher trails than your precious Skyline.

Get a grip and get over yourself.

BTW - from what i've seen, the most prolific posters on this board are in their late 30's (that might be the youngest), or their 40's (probably about average), or their 50's or older (Like Ellen God Bless Her Heart).

It might be a hard hike for you, and you say over and over and over again about how you see some young bucks starting up the mountain late, and you don't know HOW they will ever make it - but those are not the people you read about in the paper having the need for helicopters to rescue them. When is the last time you ever heard of a young experienced hiker needing to be rescued???

One thing I have found out for sure in my "experience" is:

As hikers grow older, most people spend much less time hiking, and much, much, much more time on message boards giving their invaluable advice on hiking - and it is almost always "If I can't do it after all my experience - how do you think you could do it when you're only YOUNGER and STRONGER and in MUCH BETTER SHAPE THAN I AM IN?

Go ahead - make yourselves feel better.

P.S - I repeat: It might be a hard hike for you, and you say over and over and over again about how you see some young bucks starting up the mountain late, and you don't know HOW they will ever make it - but those are not the people you read about in the paper having the need for helicopters to rescue them. When is the last time you ever heard of a young experienced hiker needing to be rescued???
Jennifer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Postby Perry » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Certainly people are entitled to opinions. Hopefully this discussion will not become insults, as that is not allowed on the message board. I think it's important to consider whether "Jennifer" is actually expressing an opinion that he/she genuinely believes, or merely playing devil's advocate to start arguments because he/she has nothing better to do in life. This person has caused problems on other forums and posted inappropriate things here as well.

My opinion: in some regards I would have to agree with "Jennifer" that Skyline is not the same as climbing in Yosemite or the Himalayas, and some people are overly cautious about it. But the facts speak for themselves: some people die or get rescued. There are many factors that influence risk on Skyline, so in one particular case it could be just a long hike, in another case it could be a death wish.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby AlanK » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Perry wrote:Hopefully this discussion will not become insults, as that is not allowed on the message board.

From what I see on this thread, the insults are there already. Even ignoring the deleted posts.
Perry wrote:This person has caused problems on other forums and posted inappropriate things here as well.

You've hit the nail on the head. Why put up with it? This is a great board due, in no small part, to your diligence.
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby zippetydude » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Honestly, sounds kind of trollish to me too. Perry, censorship is not a bad thing if it is removing boring, drama-inducing drivel. I trust your judgment.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby magikwalt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Oh Jennifer...Now you truly begin to show yourself. We've been waiting for you to appear in your most common form.

Why not step away from your keyboard and come hiking up the route with me. Its so much more fun than pecking at people on the board. I'll be happy to follow you as possible.

You have missed our first meeting so please don't delay in picking a date for a hike.

Sincerely,

An old, fearful, local poster!
User avatar
magikwalt
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby halhiker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 am

I have to agree with Jennifer: the Skyline is not that hard of a hike.

I've encountered worse weather on Mount Logan.

I've had to navigate crevasses on Mount Rainier; there are none on the Skyline.

I've had to climb pretty steep ice on Mount Hood but never on Skyline. I don't like to hike Skyline it in the winter. There are other places I can't go later in the year so I hit those when the weather's nice.

I've never had to camp in the snow like on winter trips to other mountains.

I've never had to slog gear 3000 ft. up a crappy gully like when I did Crest Jewel on North Dome in Yosemite. The climb was definitely the fun part of that trip.

I don't think it's as tough as the Mountaineer's Route because you don't have to walk back down. I think it is tougher than the Whitney Trail, though.

BUT one has to take into account that because it is not as tough as those types of climbs people underestimate the difficulty involved and because it is a hike and not a climb. A lot of people attempting it may have never gained that much elevation or have had the mountaineering experience needed to deal with the upper section.

In the winter, there's ice and snow at the top even when it's 80 degrees in PS, like today. People often don't expect it. Plus, when the days are warm and the nights are below freezing you get a lot of ice and people in SoCal don't get much experience climbing ice. Lee Vining is a long drive.

In the hotter months, dehydration is the biggest problem. It is hotter and has more elevation gain than the Grand Canyon. I've known people to take four units of IV fluid following a Skyline adventure.

And as far as age goes, I have a friend in his seventies who just summitted Elbrus a few months ago. Now, granted, he said it was just a walk up but I don't think someone's age is as important as their judgement when it comes to the mountains. According to Accidents in North American Mountaineering the biggest age group of those requiring rescue are 20-29. Imagine that.

As has often been said, "There are bold climbers and there are old climbers but there are no old, bold climbers" Except maybe Jim Bridwell but he's only 64.

I would have my friend, James, tell you how tough he thought the trail was but he fell to his death on it a few years ago. He was a SARS member, summered in Alaska and had climbed in Yosemite, J Tree and other places. I guess he was one of those who underestimated it.

I think if someone is honestly looking for beta they can find it on this board. But unless they come forth with information about their experience I think most people will offer it with caution.

I'm sure those young people with more climbing experience than Reinhold Messner will find it a piece of cake. But for the average HIKER it is not something to be taken lightly, whether you're a local or not.

Once my rheumatism, hemorrhoids and acid reflux subside I'd better be hitting the gym. I must admit I am overweight and I'll need to drop a few pounds if I'm ever going to be able to hike without my walker ever again.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 am

"Jennifer" is definitely a troll, Grandmaster. It was very weird when "she" asked who attended the party --"just out of curiosity". Who knows what this weirdo's trip is, but please block/ban him (for I doubt this is a she) ASAP. Other board members, do not respond to this person's posts. Psycho alert.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 am

cynthia23 wrote:"Jennifer" is definitely a troll ... please block/ban him


here, here.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby magikwalt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:28 pm

I was so hoping to be able to play with a troll.

Perhaps we could turn it into sort of a GeoCache thing. First one to identify the troll wins a prize. First one with a picture matching the identity wins a prize. And then finally first one to match a valid address to the identity wins the grand prize.

Amazing how people believe the internet hides them when in fact it makes them so easy to find.
User avatar
magikwalt
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm very close to banning "her" again. But there is the possibility that "she" could make some friends on this board. "Jennifer," would you like to just go hiking sometime?

One time I met a spammer. Funny story.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests