Snow Creek, East Trail

General Palm Springs area.

Snow Creek, East Trail

Postby Dunning Kruger » Fri May 27, 2022 4:49 pm

The route, via the East trail was completed this past March. The linking of old existing trails and game trails to Falls Creek was done over the last three years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k656nhVW8ozXqNJs9

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/zg7JCiNj2288gw7UIgbK7rHb

Video by Jamie Tuckey

https://youtu.be/3UWZzNC9mHw
Dunning Kruger

Re: Snow Creek, East Trail

Postby guest » Sat May 28, 2022 10:57 am

Wow, great job of detailing this extreme climb, the video is excellent as well. That snow, ice, post-holing is a crazy energy drainer. Now the DWA can direct their attention to more important things around San Jac, (like flying helo's above wilderness areas to put more camera's in :), or keep an eye on the pot growers). This climb will remain a classic challenge for those with the skills and strength, conditions allowing of course, (as once things get rolling down those chutes, it doesn't usually stop for a long ways).

Postby Sally » Sat May 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Wow, just wow! Congratulations! Thanks for posting that. The video is awesome. Just this last Wednesday Ellen and I were on the Peak (came up via Marion Mtn. Trail) and we were quite impressed with a gentleman that had come up via Skyline. I cant even imagine sitting up there eating our lunch and having you guys just pop up out of nowhere! At one time, long ago, I used to think that if I got in better shape and improved on my alpine skills, I would like to give Snow Creek a shot. Ha ha, I think I missed my chance! Once again, congratulations and thank you for sharing!
Sally

Postby Ed » Sat May 28, 2022 4:38 pm

Awesome! I am borrowing a term from younger people I don't often use, but I think appropriate here. I have no idea how you record a climb while doing it. And great editing and presentation.

My main memories, from 1976, are the fearsome DWA dog, a very pleasant afternoon at our campsite near the falls, and avalanche danger at the upper end of the chute. Can't remember a chockstone, I assume it was not there then. Considerably more snow, even though our climb was in May.

There is a writeup of the trip towards the end of this issue of the Sierra Echo:

https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/sce/sierra-peaks-section/newsltr1970s/1976v20_3.pdf

Typical Doug Mantle writeup, less about the trip and more an exercise in poking fun at his friends. The person on the front is Sid Davis, and there is an article on him in the issue.

Note to Sally: You have climbed Baldy Bowl many times, I don't think you would have any problems with the snow chute.
Ed

Postby guest » Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 pm

Ed, I agree one the great job of filming while climbing, (even if a helmet go-pro makes it easier). Turning around on those slopes for pano shots makes me think I'm losing my balance. And, my fingers were too cold to do anything like that!

Thanks for posting that, the poem was really nice, and I can sure relate, after spending over 25 yrs. hiking and climbing San Jac & surrounding forest. A place visited often, really becomes a part of us, and we a part of it.
A buddy who knew him, said he climbed San Jac, (usually from the tram), every calendar day of the year, (over several decades). He'd be the kind of guy the help the mule carry that huge boiler, (now a bit above the Round Valley spigot)!. I'll bet he knew Jim Maynard, another very large, strong mt. man, who spent a lot of time on the east flanks of this mt. range.

Postby bretpct » Sat May 28, 2022 10:15 pm

I got a knot in my stomach watching that amazing video. Am I correct in assuming this is something that can only be attempted with snow on the ground, and that's in the right condition? Seems like a very narrow window of time when this can be tackled.
bretpct

Postby Ed » Sun May 29, 2022 8:49 am

bretpct wrote:I got a knot in my stomach watching that amazing video. Am I correct in assuming this is something that can only be attempted with snow on the ground, and that's in the right condition? Seems like a very narrow window of time when this can be tackled.

I think there are people who have done it in June, when the route was snow free. Royal Robbins, for one, when he was a Boy Scout. And I think bluerail and others on this discussion board.
Ed

Postby drndr » Mon May 30, 2022 6:40 pm

i'm not a snow guy but fantasize about doing it snow free every time I go down the 10

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Dunning Kruger » Mon May 30, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks folks, for the nice feedback.

Ed, I enjoyed the write up- thanks for that!

Sally, if you're standing on that summit by whatever means, you're getting it done!

I did quite a bit of research on the route and became obsessed with an ascent but the illegality of the first section of the traditional trail created a big conflict for me. I have a SENTRI pass for surfing in Mexico with my family and couldn't risk losing it due to an obscure trespassing violation. The fact that there exists quite a bit of mountaineering opportunities and great wilderness camping, I figured the effort for a sustainable entrance, car to car was worth a try.

After trying a few different lines to Falls Creek over the last 4 years, in the end, the resulting trail is senic throughout and very enjoyable. Keep in mind- suffering is relative and the trail is remote and very raw but completely repeatable. I'll be going back for simple backpacking, trail work and bouldering trips to Falls Creek in future seasons
Dunning Kruger

Postby Ed » Tue May 31, 2022 7:04 am

Dunning,

I am sure there are going to be people grateful for your work and information sharing. I do have a question, though, and your answer may be helpful to them. When the DWA banned crossing their property, people were usually doing the climb in one day. And then stumbling around in the dark trying to find a route around the DWA property. Would you say that your approach adds enough time to the climb to make two days more attractive?
Ed

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains