Snow conditions for summiting

General Palm Springs area.

Snow conditions for summiting

Postby zippetydude » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Might give it a run up Humber Park next weekend. Anyone know the snow conditions after the recent storm for summiting?

z
zippetydude

Re: Snow conditions for summiting

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:53 am

Ed

Postby pkirkham » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:25 pm

My buddy and I hiked to San Jac peak on Sunday April 24. We encountered way more snow than anticipated!! I'd read sanjacjon's report and updates numerous times during the week...the conditions on the day where much different than he suggested. We used microspikes on running shoes from Saddle junction all the way to the top and back down. Of course, there were some bare areas but overall we needed them to avoid a slip-fest.
During the descent from the peak to Wellman's the trail was basically a river with big puddles!! I do realize that with significant warming over the last few days the conditions will have significantly changed, especially in sun-exposed areas. I think most of the trail will have dried out by now, except for the last 1000' or so.
Just to put my comments into context, I live in Idyllwild and have multiple ascents in almost all kinds of conditions and I have to say these were the worst snow conditions I think I have ever encountered.
On a different but still significant note, my wife and a friend, on the same day, attempted to cross the upper Southridge trail across the gully to reach Tahquitz peak lookout. They had microspikes and trekking poles but still ecountered icy conditions about two thirds of the way across. They absolutely knew the dangers of trying to make that crossing but still tried to keep going until they got to the real icy section! Why they even tried the crossing still baffles me now...they eventually figured out how to turn around safely and retreat. They were both very shaken up about their experience and now, in the cold light of day, cannot believe they even tried to do the crossing when they know of all the horror stories of people who barely made it (myself about 30 years ago!) and the people who have perished over the years.
I think this story illustrates the mindset of people who know better, and still try and do something beyond their capabilities anyway...they think, it's just a little further to safety...
pkirkham

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:31 pm

pkirkham wrote:I think this story illustrates the mindset of people who know better, and still try and do something beyond their capabilities anyway...they think, it's just a little further to safety...

Amen. Usually the wiser side of me has prevailed by pointing out that the return will be as bad or worse. But not always.
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:10 pm

pkirkham: Thank you. My friends who wanted to go say they are experienced and were totally confident. I've been on the mountain in less than ideal (read: treacherous) conditions and have aborted more than once. I suspected this might not be the right time. It's not. I appreciate the beta, we'll find somewhere else for now. :D

z
zippetydude

Postby pkirkham » Wed May 04, 2022 11:41 am

Hi guys, Just a brief update on snow conditions on San Jac. I ascended Deer Spring trail to the peak last Saturday morning. I encountered easy-navigable sections of snow intermittently from the Marion Mt. trail junction to Little Round Valley (LRV). There were tracks around or over these sections that did not require spikes. LRV has some areas of snow crossing the trail but, again, not a problem without spikes. The switchbacks out of LRV climbing to the peak trail had some snowy sections but easy to navigate around.
There is still some snow between the boulders on the ascent to the peak itself, once again, easily navigable. I descended the east side trail through Wellman's all the way down to Annie's junction. There is still some of the stubborn snow just north of Annie's but easily traversed without spikes. From Annie's I rejoined the PCT to head down to Strawberry junction and then back down Deer Springs trail to the trailhead at 243.
Overall, after my experiences the previous weekend, I carried spikes with me but did not need them at all. The remaining snow sections should be rapidly melting out this week I expect.
Cheers!!
pkirkham

Postby pkirkham » Thu May 05, 2022 10:42 am

Just a quick update on the section of Southridge trail from Tahquitz Peak to the Chinquapin Flat/PCT junction. My good friend Andrew ran that section yesterday and reported that you can now safely get through the area without spikes or any other traction devices.
pkirkham

Postby johnsonmc » Thu May 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Does anyone happen to know the C2C trail condition?
johnsonmc

Postby Florian » Fri May 06, 2022 5:38 am

johnsonmc wrote:Does anyone happen to know the C2C trail condition?

The upper Skyline still official closed per State Park as far as i know. See the adjacent Skyline thread.
Florian

Postby johnsonmc » Thu May 12, 2022 8:08 am

Florian wrote:
johnsonmc wrote:Does anyone happen to know the C2C trail condition?

The upper Skyline still official closed per State Park as far as i know. See the adjacent Skyline thread.

Many thanks,I appreciate the response
johnsonmc

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains