Is Skyline open yet?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Is Skyline open yet?

Postby drndr » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:52 am

If anyone knows anybody who has been doing it lately, I'd be curious where the signage is that states not to do it. Is is at the notch and museum? Farther up past the picnic tables? Not that I would violate a closed trail, I mean route, but if friends were to do this I do wonder what the enforcement is?

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Florian » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:33 pm

drndr wrote:If anyone knows anybody who has been doing it lately, I'd be curious where the signage is that states not to do it

As of a week ago, the last time i checked, there were route closure notices at Museum and Ramon trailheads and also at the Museum/Lykken/Skyline junction west of picnic tables. I don't know re notices at SP boundary but i assume there would be a notice at Grubb's Notch.
Florian

Postby Florian » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 pm

At Museum trailhead today ..
2022-04-23 07.20.45r.jpg
Florian

Postby emilytroemel » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:18 pm

I was up at the Long Valley Ranger station yesterday - water available from behind the entrance (and in the bathrooms). And water (that needs to be filtered) also available at Round Valley. lots of snowy beauty!
emilytroemel

Postby nobohiker » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 pm

emilytroemel wrote:I was up at the Long Valley Ranger station yesterday - water available from behind the entrance (and in the bathrooms). And water (that needs to be filtered) also available at Round Valley. lots of snowy beauty!

Did you hike up skyline? I hope the trail opens up soon. BTW, that water from the ranger station was taking really bad last time I have been up there. Is there better water at the tram? Thanks
nobohiker

Postby Florian » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:28 pm

Update today from Jon King and the San Jacinto Trail Report ..

Effective Tuesday 1st February 2022 the State Park closed the section of Skyline Trail that falls within its jurisdiction, above 5800 ft elevation, "due to dangerous ice accumulation" ... The Superintendent stated on 25th April "we are monitoring weather conditions and the route and hope to reopen in the coming weeks". The State Park boundary is not marked but is near the site of the old Florian’s Cache, below Flat Rock.

https://sanjacjon.com/2022/04/25/trail- ... pril-2022/

[Reposted with permission.]
Florian

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:54 am

Kind of amazing. Makes you wonder if they only consider the weather within the state park boundary.

The California State Park system seems remarkably detached from reality. Like the time when they took the highly popular and successful Bazaar del Mundo concession in San Diego's Old Town from Diane Powers, because it was not 'Old California'. I think it was around 2005. Gave the concession to a Delaware corporation that followed their instructions and turned success into failure.
Ed

Postby drndr » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Ah, if it were only the state park system that seemed slightly detached. I'd blame it on Ca. as a whole but that's not really the case either.

D
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:12 pm

drndr wrote:Ah, if it were only the state park system that seemed slightly detached. I'd blame it on Ca. as a whole but that's not really the case either.

D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have it on good authority that there is no snow or ice from the traverse up to Grubbs Notch.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Florian » Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am

Per a reliable source the state park reopened upper skyline to hikers on Tuesday 10th May.
Florian

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains