hemet to Idyllwild (Tram)

General Palm Springs area.

Re: hemet to Idyllwild (Tram)

Postby Florian » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:58 am

Hi Scott. No, i didn't draw the route on the CalTopo map. I can do that later today. Bee Canyon comes off of Hwy 74 lower near Cranston station closer to Hemet. I'll let you know when i've updated the map.
Florian

Postby hawkbill666 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 am

Ed wrote:I have never used Gaia, I am sure it is fine. But Avenza is free, the Tom Harrison maps work only with Avenza, and Avenza works with many other maps. I am a bit reluctant to rely on online maps when the area is covered by Tom Harrison maps, which I think are more reliable.

Avenza is free, but with no maps right? I didnt get any with my download and have to buy, or perhaps I havent found them yet.....
That Tom Harrison map of San Jacinto is $9, that is a cheap and I will buy that for sure. Great for a backup and may become my primary, who knows. I will have paper maps I print out that I heavily customize, as I always have paper with me.
I love Caltopo, the view is fantastic, but their pricing structure is pretty high. My mapping needs are only for this hike at this point,as I have maps for all my favorite PNW hikes already.

GAIA has a free version but I paid for the full version which gives me quite a few different layers. So far it seems like I get all the views I want with the exception of the amazing topology views of Caltopo.

Having embraced cell phone based GPS for the 1st time I would say there is a technical consideration beyond the maps themselves. That is the reliability and accuracy of the GPS chip in the individual cell phone. That is what I am experimenting with now.

Thanks

Scott
hawkbill666

Postby Florian » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am

Updated map with some very roughly drawn routes. Indian Canyon from Hemet also the Bee Canyon alternate. If you want to avoid Mt. San Jacinto there is the Strawberry Trail alternate but personally i'd go over the peak.

Map is here .. https://caltopo.com/m/EKAC
Florian

Postby hawkbill666 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:55 pm

hemet_to_tram.png
Florian wrote:Updated map with some very roughly drawn routes. Indian Canyon from Hemet also the Bee Canyon alternate. If you want to avoid Mt. San Jacinto there is the Strawberry Trail alternate but personally i'd go over the peak.

Map is here .. https://caltopo.com/m/EKAC

Thanks Florian!
I know a long delay here, but I shifted from a May start as I was not ready to an October start.
Your route is one we are looking at two years from now. We want to do a summit on the way to the Tram. But for this 1st one we want to pass through Idyllwild and then minimize altitude.

I actually created a huge powerpoint presentation to present to my hiking partner (haha). Here are two that define the route that I HOPE to "hike".

Thanks everyone for your ongoing input here, this is a lifelong dream of mine!

Scott
hawkbill666

Postby Ed » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:40 am

Avenza is free, but with no maps right?

Avenza works with Caltopo maps. If you use the free version of Avenza, you can only have three maps installed at a time not purchased from the Avenza Map Store, but that is not much of a limitation for most people. It is the only app that works with Tom Harrison maps. USGS maps are available from the Avenza Map Store, some of the older ones free, others a few dollars.
Ed

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains