Anderson Peak, well, almost.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Anderson Peak, well, almost.

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Last Tuesday Ellen and I made an attempt to hike to Anderson Peak via Forsee Creek trail. My Toyota Corolla made it up the dirt road to the trailhead with no problem. The trail was fairly clear of snow and only required microspikes for a while. Very deliberate footsteps were required in a few stretches. A brave soul had ventured out and left footprints in the fresh snow a day or so earlier which helped. We did happen upon a downed tree in the trail that was a pain. We hiked around it on the way up, and did the limbo under it on the return trip down. There is a spot on Forsee Creek trail that can be troublesome in snow, and when we got to that point the footsteps we had been following stopped. Had we been able to go forward we would have reached the point where we have a tried-and-true cross country route to Anderson. Sadly, we pretty much decided that we would have to throw in the towel and turn back. But wait! Upon turning back we spied ski tracks doubling back but uphill. We thought we should see where this skier was headed and after donning snowshoes we began to follow the ski track. As it turned out, the skier obviously knew what he/she was doing and we eventually attained the San Bernardino Ridge. Anderson Peak was a stone’s-throw away, but it was nearly turn-around time and we were knackered and hungry. We stopped for lunch, enjoyed the view of the ridge to San Gorgonio and across to San Jacinto Peak, and then headed back down. Thanks to the skier, we discovered a very efficient and alternate route to the San Bernardino Ridge. If the skier is reading this, please take credit! By the way, the Oaks Restaurant in Angeles Oaks has decent hours now, so we were able to enjoy burgers after a long day of hiking.
Sally

Re: Anderson Peak, well, almost.

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks for the post, Sally. I've often lamented the fact that nature shortchanges us on daylight in the winter. I used to blunder into post-sunset epics, sometimes all night epics. No more, I am no longer young, speedy and sure-footed enough for that stuff. If I am hiking in the dark, it is uphill, before sunrise, and at the beginning of the hike.

I was in Nomad Adventures in Idyllwild last Friday, showing some friends from the Bay Area the sights, taking the 74-243 loop from Palm Desert. Are you still working there?
Ed

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Yes, Ed, I am still an employee of Nomad Ventures but working from home at this time. Ellen, Marilyn, and I finally had a successful ascent up Charlton Peak on Saturday. So far we have turned back short of Alto Diablo twice, Dobbs Peak, as well as our "almost" Anderson. Each time we were SO close, but a combination of shorter days, tough snow conditions, and just plain getting too pooped out to continue kept us from reaching the "Tippy Top." Now that the days are longer there is more opportunity for successful summitting. However, I am curious to hear everyone's take on hiking during this Corona Virus thing. I wanna hike, but I don't want to be part of the problem. What do y'all think? (Social distancing is easy for me while hiking because I cant keep up to within 6' of anyone anyway!)
Sally

Postby futbol » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:13 am

Sally wrote:Yes, Ed, I am still an employee of Nomad Ventures but working from home at this time. Ellen, Marilyn, and I finally had a successful ascent up Charlton Peak on Saturday. So far we have turned back short of Alto Diablo twice, Dobbs Peak, as well as our "almost" Anderson. Each time we were SO close, but a combination of shorter days, tough snow conditions, and just plain getting too pooped out to continue kept us from reaching the "Tippy Top." Now that the days are longer there is more opportunity for successful summitting. However, I am curious to hear everyone's take on hiking during this Corona Virus thing. I wanna hike, but I don't want to be part of the problem. What do y'all think? (Social distancing is easy for me while hiking because I cant keep up to within 6' of anyone anyway!)

Seems like safe hikes would be the ideal activity during this pandemic for healthy people. Unfortunately, almost every outdoor authority has either discouraged or expressly prohibited access to their trails. Even the PCTA has asked that hikers avoid the trail.

Hiking is the ultimate social distancing. That is what attracts many people to it.

I completely understand the need to not tie up critical resources like SAR.

Congrats on Charlton summit!
futbol

Postby Sally » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 am

Thank you for the input, futbol! I am in total agreement!
Sally

Postby jdclifford » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:39 pm

I agree with shutting the places down because they serve as attractions for people from elsewhere. My parents in New Hampshire told me that trailheads in their area have been jam-packed with the cars of clowns from Massachusetts, who already had a stay-at-home order in place. Here in Silver City, NM, where I live, the town sure doesn't act like there is a stay-at-home order. When I head to my "essential" job, it seems no different than before. It was just announced today my county has it's first known positive case. Let's see if it affects the townspeople here any differently.
jdclifford

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics