Snow creek conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Snow creek conditions?

Postby phalc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Anyone have recent info on snow level or just a picture from the north of snow creek? Considering a climb in about a week. Thanks
phalc

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:29 pm

I'm planning on hiking in to the Chockstone this weekend- I'll report back Sunday night.

The plan is to go to the top in 3 or 4 weeks, conditions permitting.
Dunning Kruger

Postby phalc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 am

Did you go up in the storm?
phalc

Postby Dunning Kruger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:36 pm

Made it to Falls Creek on Saturday, having done much work on an alternate, legal trail on the way in and had a nice camp there. Gathering storm clouds and mountain lion hanging around down at the creek meant a timely retreat on Sunday morning.

Not using the isthmus trail on the way in meant limited views. What I could see, indicated broken snow fields with many exposed patches of rock above the Chockstone. Unless some major storm activity occurs between now and April- its next season for me.

I found a nice bouldering circuit on the way in so I may head back in two weeks to boulder and take a few hi-res photos from the I-10. Unfortunately the mountain was obscured by the storm when I drove out on Sunday.
Attachments
20200210_132607.jpg
Dunning Kruger

Postby phalc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am

I made an attempt Tuesday and made it just above the chockstone. GPX file. I took the arduous legal route and reached the creek proper in just under 6 hours. There was 1-2" of new snow on the rocks turning class 3 into insecure mixed climbing. I took the class 3 bypass of the chockstone but only found broken small snowfields above. I put the odds at about 50% of the new snow on the upper mountain being stable enough to feel good about and with how long it would take to downclimb those rock pitches if I had to bail from 8000+ ft I was looking at a serious epic. Also, the upper 1000 ft looked pretty dry and it would be harrowing to get stuck on rock in the steeps near the summit. I turned around at this verglas-covered boulder at about 6200 ft. I agree that it needs some spring storms to be feasible this year.

Dunning Kruger, I'm curious about your alternate route. Care to share a gpx file? I think I saw the tracks from a big cat, too.
Attachments
sc.jpg
Where I decided to bail
phalc

Postby Dunning Kruger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Nice effort!
It's very repeatable, in and out every time with great parking. Feel free to email me for the file.

drewalldredge@gmail.com
Attachments
20200214_141252.jpg
Dunning Kruger

Postby RevanTheDestroyer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Such a bummer condtions arent in this year... but after last weekends storm and the predicted one this next week, I am hoping it might be doable the last weekend of march. Anybody else thinking the same thing?
RevanTheDestroyer

Postby Dunning Kruger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Phalc would know best after the attempt a few weeks back but I'd want at least a couple of feet of snow. I could see much exposed rock and slabs with water ice in the hi-res photos I took of Folly Couloir.

Next spring for me with perhaps a couple of trail days next winter unless something drastic happens.

The bright side- the upper Needles road and much of the Sierras may be open for business a month or so early.
Dunning Kruger

Postby RevanTheDestroyer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Right now mountain forecast is predicting a total of 30.1 inches of snow for San jac between Monday/Wednesday! This might be the late season miracle we need! Haha fingers crossed
RevanTheDestroyer

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Here's a link to the GPX file for Snow Creek, East Trail. This track has a couple of short deviations off the trail to boulders that needed a send. I can't verify that this trail is better that the other legal trail but I've had no issues repeating this trail- it's pretty enjoyable actually. The first rise out of the desert floor needs a couple of switchbacks added to mellow the rate of ascent and to minimize erosion.

I've also taken extreme steps to be respectful of the neighborhood when leaving my car. The trail follows and links old existing Native American foot beds and game trails. It generally follows the 1/2 rate of ascent rule to minimize erosion. There are cairns along the way, mostly to keep foot traffic consistently on the same path to minimize impact.

Unfortunately the conditions didn't present an opportunity to finish the climb this season.

Good luck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15oavFq ... p=drivesdk
Attachments
20200218_200833.jpg
20200218_200321.jpg
20200218_201016.jpg
Dunning Kruger

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains