Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Based on the US Forest Service's recent announcement modifying the Lake Fire closure area, I created a marked up topo map on my blog that shows more precisely which peaks and places are/are not now closed.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Postby arocknoid » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:47 am

Jim, thanks for the selfless effort with all your updates and info. This clarifying map should be helpful for many folks pining to get back on the Gorgo trails. My single scheduled three day hike for SoCal this summer was scrubbed the week of Juneteenth, dagnabit.

I hope to scramble up a mid-week hike on San G in the next few days, pending a juggling of schedule. Hope to see you on the hills,

kind regards,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:58 am

Well, thank you.

I thought it might be useful to have a more detailed map. Particularly for off trail peaks like Dragon's Head Peak and Pi Peak, it's nice to know they're "legal" again.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for all of your work on this HJ!
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Updated Lake Fire Closure Area Map

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 pm

You're welcome.

There was some discussion as to whether peaks like Dragons Head Peak were open or not, so I plotted it out on a topo so I could see exactly what was in vs. what was out of the closure area. I figured I could just share the map, and voila! blog post. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest