Water at Hoegees Camp? (San Gabriel Mountains)

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Water at Hoegees Camp? (San Gabriel Mountains)

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm going to do the Mt Wilson Loop from Chantry Flats this weekend.  Anyone know if there is water at Hoegees? (or at the trail crossing above Hoegees)  I think last I heard it was dry?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Water at Hoegees Camp? (San Gabriel Mountains)

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Well, since I can clear see the great clamor for information on this hike, here's my post hike update:
There is some water in Santa Anita Canyon, for those who venture to the San Gabriels, but not a lot. There are major stretches of stream bed that are completely dry, typically sandy or gravelly sections. In those spots where there is exposed bedrock, there is flowing water. Water flow is actually fairly decent at Spruce Grove.

The creek is dry at Hoegees according to hikers I talked to, but supposedly there is water further up Winter Creek per a cabin owner I spoke to. That's where he gets his water, so I imagine he knows what he's talking about.

The faucet atop Mt. Wilson is working; however, there is a sign that says that they haven't done all the required water quality testing. That's not necessarily an indication of a problem, but if one were sensitive about such things, perhaps it is of note.

Here's my GPS track of the Chantry Flat - Mount Wilson Loop. The blue dots are GPS waypoints that represent water.

Waypoint 24 is a small spring on the Winter Creek Trail. It's flowing, but just barely.

Waypoint 25 is San Olene Canyon. No flow, but there was a small pool (really small) just above the trail.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest