Half Dome Attempt, May 23 2015

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Half Dome Attempt, May 23 2015

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm

No summit, but a good day still.

Trip report and 30+ photos are posted here:
http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/05/27/ha ... y-23-2015/

Here are some highlights:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Half Dome Attempt, May 23 2015

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

Wow, I did it on a bright sunny day and the rock was still so smooth I found my feet sliding even though I was holding the cables. Rain turns the whole thing to madness. Glad you had fun anyway. BTW if you do it again, I'd recommend starting at Tenaya and working your way down past Clouds Rest and on over to Halfdome. I loved that approach, and it lets you avoid the heat of the valley and the Stairs of Cirith Ungol on the way up.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Half Dome Attempt, May 23 2015

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 pm

zippetydude wrote:Wow, I did it on a bright sunny day and the rock was still so smooth I found my feet sliding even though I was holding the cables. Rain turns the whole thing to madness. Glad you had fun anyway. BTW if you do it again, I'd recommend starting at Tenaya and working your way down past Clouds Rest and on over to Halfdome. I loved that approach, and it lets you avoid the heat of the valley and the Stairs of Cirith Ungol on the way up.

z
I also came in from Tenaya when I did it. MUCH easier.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest