Jepson Peak via the Big Draw

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Jepson Peak via the Big Draw

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Howdy All :)

Heather (our Captain on the Europe trip) and the Three Stooges headed up last Friday. This was my first time in "real" mountaineering boots (La Sportiva trango men's 7). Initially, I had a hard time walking in them. Shortly after we reached the wilderness boundary sign, we had to don microspikes due to water ice on the trail :? Before long, we were passed by Team Testosterone -- our friends Lilbitmo, Calicokat and James L.

We went XC shortly after the Dollar/Dry Lake junction and switched to snowshoes -- heading up the right side of Xmas tree hill. This is the same route we've used to reach the saddle at the base of Charleton's west shoulder. Then it was a matter of navigating and post holing through glacial chop country -- down, up and across numerous rock and brush filled gullies -- until we reached the base of the Jepson bowl. Team Estrogen once again met up with Team Testosterone:

Image

Starting the climb up the Big Draw in snowshoes:

Image

About half way up, we changed into crampons. Thanks to Captain Heather (pictured below) for helping me don crampons and ensuring they fit properly. I laid on my back as she held up my foot to inspect the fit -- reminded me of a horse being shod :lol:

Image

Da Boyz heading up the Big Draw:

Image

Heather looking down as Da Girlz head up the Big Draw:

Image

Image

Image

Once at the top of the Big Draw, Team Testosterone headed over to San Gorgonio, while Team Estrogen headed to Jepson. It was very windy and cold, so we crossed the summit of Jepson to find a sheltered spot for lunch. Our plan was to walk the ridge over towards Charleton and head down Charleton's west shoulder. Thanks to me :roll: the Three Stooges walked too far west along the ridge and had to backtrack. We dropped down from the ridge to Dry Lake View, switching from crampons to snowshoes when we started post holing up to our crotches :? Followed Heather's snowshoe track and climbed up along the south side of Little Charleton to the saddle between Little Charleton and Charleton. Then, it was just a matter of gaining Charleton's west shoulder for a downhill snowshoe all the way to South Fork Meadows and the trail. Heather took these pictures of the north chutes and Big Draw on the descent.

Image

Image

We got back to our cars in the dark, exhausted but happy.

Based on the current warm weather, I doubt the snow will last :cry:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Jepson Peak via the Big Draw

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Ellen, I totally retract all the negative things I said about the thrashing I took on our Big Draw adventure! My dashboard temp reading said 86 degrees today! I could hear the snow moaning, "I'm melting!" all the way from Temecula. I am SO grateful you dragged my reluctant, griping butt up the Draw and all over that whole mountain as there may not be another chance this season! And the part about not being able to find our car at the secret parking place (which I vow to NEVER divulge) in the dark will make for a hilarious (in hindsight) memory to add to our list of "Things that went wrong, but make a great memory." Lesson learned: If you park your car at a secret parking place and you have a GPS, it wouldn't hurt to mark your car as a "waypoint" just in case you get back after dark!

Thanks for a great day and very much looking forward to our next adventure.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Jepson Peak via the Big Draw

Postby 63ChevyII » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Sally wrote: I could hear the snow moaning, "I'm melting!" all the way from Temecula.


Lol - Funny, yet sad all at the same time!

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10981081_10152673403507547_5884636659218363950_o.jpg
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests