Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Howdy All :)

Miracle Marilyn, Heather, Regina and I headed up from South Fork to Charleton yesterday. We encountered icy spots on the trail between the Poop Out Hill lookout and the Dollar/Dry Lake junction. Donning micros helped. After crossing the streams, we diverted from the main trail and followed ski/snowshoe tracks up the right hand side of Xmas tree hill. At about 8.5 K, we started breaking through the snow into the bushes and swapped micros for snowshoes. At about 9 K, we started heading up the ridge that I call "Charleton's left shoulder." The snowshoes were essential.

By the time we reached Charleton peak, the wind was freezing our hands and ears. Dropped over a bit on the south side into a sunny area that was protected from wind. As we were enjoying lunch, Heather noted that at least today this felt like winter. A year ago in January we had climbed the Dobbs ridge to San Gorgonio and there was virtually no snow. On the descent, we were treated to spectacular views of the San Gorgonio north chutes and the Jepson bowl. As much as I'd like to climb both, I don't want a repeat of running into ice for the last 500 vertical feet. The best snow was between 9 K and 10.8 K.

Hoping to get more of the white stuff -- at least I've used my snowshoes and crampons this season.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Postby KathyW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Are the bushes in Southfork Meadow above the Dollar Lake/Dry Lake junction covered with snow enough that your snowshoes don't get tangled in the bushes or punch through to the empty void?

It seems like that last few hundred feet on top of the north chutes of San Gorgonio are always icy, but that really hard ice scares me too - especially the idea of coming down it.

Charlton is a perfect winter outing - it's so nice that you area able to get out there during the week when it is peaceful.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Re: Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:35 pm

How does this hike compare to Alto Diablo via Duct Tape Ridge...tougher, easier?

Saturday I followed the track you gals made up Duct Tape Ridge. It was a tough hike, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking for a hike for this upcoming weekend. Hoping to get out with the winter gear again and visit another 'new-to-me' 10k peak.
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Postby Ellen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Howdy Chevy :)

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Alto Diablo trip. Charleton is longer -- you have to take the Southfork trail all the way to the Dollar/Dry Lake junction sign before heading XC up to Charleton. With Alto Diablo, you only have to go the wilderness boundary sign before heading up.

Howdy Kathy,

It's funny that you mention post holing. We donned snowshoes shortly after heading up the right side of Xmax tree hill (on the ridge to the left of the avalanche gully). Even with them, we post holed a bit until we got into the trees and were traversing along the side of the ridge. On the way down we avoided that section.

The ice on the north facing chutes really scares me -- whether going up or down.

Some folks went up the Big Draw to Jepson last Sunday, then walked down the ridge to Charleton and out. They reported about an inch of crust on top of powder. The powder made the snowshoes "float" going up so they switched to crampons. They didn't hit any hard ice.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Snowshoe up Charleton Jan 14

Postby KathyW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks Ellen. I was thinking of heading out into the SGW this weekend, but 50mph winds don't sound so appealing. I'll head in a different direction. Maybe we'll get lucky and get some good snow in February or March. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlton is actually a harder climb than San Gorgonio now due to snow conditions and less traffic to create a beaten path.

The situation is pretty pitiful in the Sierra right now too - I was shocked at how little snow there is when I did a little exploring on the east side last weekend.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests