Bowling on Baldy

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Bowling on Baldy

Postby Ellen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am

Howdy All :)

Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I went up the Baldy Bowl yesterday. Trail was well packed from Manker to ski hut (wore microspikes), from there on we were in virgin snow. Donned crampons and ice axes and headed up the right side of the bowl. The snow was wonderful -- I was able to create steps for Sally and Marilyn as we climbed.. As we got higher, the snow became deeper and we started post holing. Upon exiting the bowl and starting the final climb to the summit, we were post holing up to our knees or more. While I prefer nice powder snow to scary ice when I'm climbing, It was exhausting. Going down was also a post hole nightmare. We had lunch out of the wind at our usual spot (8.5 K). Our friend Martin Parsons arrived as we were finishing lunch. He'd come up Register Ridge and the Devil's Backbone. He was also post holing and, like us, placing his poles in front of him on the snow to extricate himself. He noted that he seemed to have developed Tourette's on the climb to Baldy :lol: Martin broke trail for us back to the rock garden at the bottom of the bowl, which was a blessing as my legs were toast. We were in and out of the clouds all day, it was exquisitely beautiful. Flocked trees, rime ice, hikers in the mist

I've never encountered snow like this on Baldy. Hopefully it will consolidate. Marilyn had suggested that we carry snowshoes in addition to all of other gear -- I didn't think we'd need them :roll: Had a fabulous burger at the Baldy lodge before heading home. Thanks to Sally and Marilyn for buying my dinner and keeping me company on another epic day.

As the Team Artic Wolf photographer, Sally will post pictures.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby 63ChevyII » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm

I think I saw the three of you headed up. I was coming down Register Ridge around 8:15.

I used snowshoes from around 7600 - 8300 ft, where I watched the sunrise. I had to work yesterday, so I headed back to my car as soon as I was done taking photos. On the descent, I met a gentleman named Martin that was attempting his 248th summit.

I will post photos and a trip report later.
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Sally » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Although there was a bit of suffering that took place, this is one of my most favorite trips and I will always remember it and the great company I was able to share it with. I took tons of pictures (mainly while I was catching my breath from the exertion.) Ellen is like one of those snow-plows on the engines of those trains that run through snow-country, and Marilyn never stops smiling.

Pictures (bear with me, it was hard to edit very many out):
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... edirect=1#
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Sally » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm looking forward to your TR and photos, Chevy!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Ed » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Congratulations to the Gang of Three! What a team! One breaks trail, one snaps pictures, and one keeps smiling through what do not look like smiley-time conditions!

How far to the right in the bowl were you? E.g., were you on a more-or-less straight line to the summit, aiming for the Baldy-Harwood saddle, or somewhere in between?

And, Ellen, where did you get those nifty down mittens?
Ed
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: San Diego Area

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Sally » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 am

Ed, we stayed rather right-ish, but not so right as the Baldy-Harwood Saddle. There's a rather distinctive gully, probably left by this year's monsoons, and we pretty much stayed right on the right edge of it most of the way.
I like your description of our team: trail-breaker, photographer, and smiling gal in charge of morale!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby zippetydude » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Sounds like fun, but it also sounds like a ton of work...breaking trail is at least twice as hard as regular hiking, and you 3 were in new, soft snow! Yipes. Must have been murder. Thanks for the post and the great pics!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Ellen » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Howdy Z :)

At least there was enough snow to post-hole:

Image

Brings back fond memories of following you, Speedy Steve, InFerno, Scott2 and other friends as you broke trail up to San Jacinto peak.

Howdy Chevy :)

I purchased the down mittens on-line from Grandoe back in late 2012. They also came in a waterproof version. I also have Grandoe down gloves. Both fit very well and I can actually use my hands -- a rarity with many insulated gloves.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Here's my (mostly finished) trip report and some photos:
Register Ridge Trip Report, December 18 2014
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Bowling on Baldy

Postby Ed » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the route description, Sally. I think you nailed it down about as well as words can do. And thanks for the info on the down mittens, Ellen, I had never heard of that brand before.
Ed
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: San Diego Area

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests