Magical, Magnificent Whitney day hike

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Magical, Magnificent Whitney day hike

Postby Ellen » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Howdy All :)

Indie Jack and other members of the San Jacinto hiking club obtained day hike permits for Whitney on Sunday September 28. Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I were fortunate to granted spots on the club's permits. Throughout the week, we watched the weather reports with a certain amount of trepidation -- the closer we got to the BIG DAY :D the more the weather forecast deteriorated (increased chance of snow, rain, thunder) :x

We sensed forces were conspiring against us when Marilyn had vehicle difficulties -- she thought her hike was "off" and told us to drive up to Lone Pine :( I changed the mascot on my pack from a Swiss Marmot to a Mountie bear. As we drove through Adelanto, we learned that the vehicle was fixed -- she'd join us on the adventure :D

Krai, Sally and I and I had a fabulous dinner at the Merry Go Round in Lone Pine. We then met in the lobby of the Dow Villa Saturday evening to organize and sort out any other concerns Captain Indie Jack and Richard did recon on Saturday and reported cold temperatures and new snow. We donned permit tags and orange bandanas and hit the sack early for a ~3:30 AM start.

Sally drove Krai, Marilyn and I up to Whitney Portal. I was dressed in shorts and wore my wool Ice breaker Haute Route tee-shirt to amuse friends :wink: Quickly donned my Smart Wool long sleeved shirt :lol: and we started up the trail. I found it difficult to hike in the dark, even with a good headlamp. On the positive side, this ensured not going out too fast. We encountered rime ice and even snow down low on the trail. I was dismayed to find that that the logs crossing the stream were covered with ice :? As I moved at a snail pace across, I heard a kind voice telling me to take my time. This is how I met Wally, a fellow member of the San J club.

We passed by Outpost camp, winding our way up to Mirror lake. We had to cross several streams in the dark, which was a challenge as I'm a klutz. Once above Mirror Lake, there were several spots where route finding was difficult in the dark as the route crossed over large slabs. The sky started to lighten just as we climbed above tree line. There was also a noticeable drop in temperature, so I stopped to don pants, jacket and down mittens. As we climbed up to Trail Camp, we were suddenly stopped in our tracks by the extraordinary sunrise. My friend Krai took these photos:

Image

Image

Image

We saw new snow on the tents at Trail Camp -- brr...Although we continued to fuel and hydrate, we couldn't stop for very long due to the extreme cold. I added my balaclava and looked forward to warming up on the 99 switchbacks. Didn't happen. Sally actually wore her down sweater from Trail Camp to the peak -- something she's never done before on a hard climb.

Image

Due to the clouds, there were no views from Trail Crest. I pressed on, knowing that if I stopped at Trail Crest, I wouldn't have the mental fortitude to continue. I also needed to keep moving to stay warm. I moved deliberately, as the snow and ice made for treacherous footing on the ridge.

Image

Image

About halfway along the traverse, I stopped to put on microspikes. I should have done this much sooner, as they definitely made me feel more secure. After what seemed like an eternity, I reached final climb up to the peak. Another eternity passed before I reached the blessed summit hut. I signed the register, entered and encountered a cloud of marijuana smoke and steam from hot coffee :lol: I briefly chatted with my hut mates before they headed back down to their site at Trail Camp.

The rest of our group trickled into the welcome shelter of the Den of Iniquity. We cuddled to stay warm (that's my story and I'm sticking with it :wink: , ate lunch and shared war stories.

Image

Once all members of our group were accounted for, we started to descend.

Image

Image

The clouds lifted a bit and we had a better view of the west side.

Image

Near the bottom of the 99 switchbacks, we said "hi" to several cute marmots.

Image

Image

We took a short break at Trail Camp and enjoyed the clouds swirling around us.

Image

When we passed by Mirror Lake, it started to snow, adding even more beauty to our idyllic hike. By Lone Pine lake, the snow changed to a light rain, which stopped about half way back to the Portal. Lastly, we were treated to gorgeous fall colors.

Image

We enjoyed celebratory beverages at the Portal before heading down to Lone Pine for cheeseburgers. Sadly, many folks had to drive back Sunday night. The rest of us, including Indie, enjoyed a fabulous breakfast at the Alabama Café.

My friend Krai wrote: "A friend once asked me why I bother to go up the same mountain numerous times instead of finding new peaks to summit. I told him that each time you go up a mountain, the experience is entirely different. Perhaps it's less about conquering a peak, and more about being attuned to everything around you on that particular day. Because sometimes the morning light, the crisp autumn air searing your lungs, and your aching calves, all conspire to stop you dead in your tracks, and you suddenly glance up at a vista that you've never seen before, even though you've been there a dozen times, and then the light changes, its splendor recedes, and you realize that you will never see it again, even if you were to go up there another dozen times."

Thanks to everyone for a magical, magnificent Whitney 8)

From the heart,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Magical, Magnificent Whitney day hike

Postby Sally » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Thank you, Ellen for capturing the essence of our day on the tallest mountain in the continental US. I will never forget this hike, it was so beautiful, weather and all. It also was a wonderful group of folks to hike with. And as for Krai's quote, I think I'll print it up on a card as I am frequently asked the same question as to why I hike the same mountain over and over... it's never the same...ever.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Magical, Magnificent Whitney day hike

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks Ellen for another well written trip report with great pictures. Its the next best thing to actually being there.
If you ever decide to blog Ellen's Hiking Adventures start by going to blogger.com (Google)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests