If anyone here has gotten skunked on the lottery in trying to go up Mt. Whitney, may I suggest you go up a couple days before and try for the cancellations? A ranger told me about this a few years ago, and I've done it very successfully 7 times in a row. My brother, nephew, and a couple of friends of theirs had tried the lottery in February and lost out. In casual conversation a few weeks ago, I found out about the situation and suggested we try at the end of August or beginning of September, as the weather is beautiful then. Turns out we went on Labor Day Weekend by accident, but we still got the permits. It only works for dayhikes, but it has been remarkably reliable as a means of securing a permit. Just thought I'd share that.
BTW, the weather right now is so nice that we never had to add or remove a layer all day. I did the whole thing in shorts and a tank top, and never got hot or cold. And, as any of you who have ever done Whitney can attest, it is one beautiful mountain.
Anyway, hit me up or call the ranger if you have any questions, but don't let a miss on the lottery ruin your fun!
z







