lake Tahoe trip

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

lake Tahoe trip

Postby towbradley » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Howdy everyone, am taking a trip to Tahoe next week for seven days and will be staying at the keys. Have been investigating some hikes and would like some input on the following day hike; 1) going from falling leaf lake to mnt tallic and; 2) hiking from echo lakes on thepct/Tahoe rim trail to kieth's dome. Twelve to fourteen miles is definitely the max distance for my spouse. Thanks. :D
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby halhiker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:09 am

Tallac is definitely recommended. I do it every time I go to Tahoe. Just go in the AM because Thunderstorms have been wicked up there lately and you don't want to be up high in the afternoon.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby towbradley » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:20 am

Thanks hal for update on the weather .,....the more I look into these hikes, the more excited I'm getting about getting up there. Any hidden treasures you go to up there that's kind of off the beaten path? Tried to convince my better half to para_sail, but that was not gonna happen. :roll:
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby KathyW » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 pm

I did the hike to Tallac via the Mt. Tallac Trail recently - a nice cool rainy day. I spent a few days up in that area and did hikes to Pyramid Peak, Tallac, Granite Chief, and Mt. Lola - all very nice hikes. None of the hikes were difficult, but I was lucky to have cool, cloudly, and rainy weather. Some pics I took and maps of my routes:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... ada-Hiking

Have fun - that's a beautiful area if you don't wind all the traffic on the main roads.
KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby Sally » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Have a good time, towbradley! By the looks of Kathy's pics it's going to be pretty. Kathy, I really like your butterfly shots.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby towbradley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:07 am

thank you kathy for your pic's. howdy to sally, and yes, those butterflies shots were really amazing, right place at the right time for kathy. am looking forward to just cruzin the high side of tahoe and enjoying the change in weather, surroundings, temecula and murrieta attitudes. once again, if you know of any good hole in the wall restaurants, please let me know. Oh, did you see the press telegram on that missing girl in Joshua tree.........mine shaft horrors......and one of the search team retrieval guys got hurt in the proccess. bummer. hopefully when i get back, ill try to share some pic's........still cant figure out how to post even my avitar pic........ :oops:
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby HH8 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:22 pm

towbradley wrote:Howdy everyone, am taking a trip to Tahoe next week for seven days and will be staying at the keys. Have been investigating some hikes and would like some input on the following day hike; 1) going from falling leaf lake to mnt tallic and; 2) hiking from echo lakes on thepct/Tahoe rim trail to kieth's dome. Twelve to fourteen miles is definitely the max distance for my spouse. Thanks. :D


Tallac yes! Watch spouse for elevation acclimation
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Re: lake Tahoe trip

Postby towbradley » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:00 am

OK, so we went on our trip to Tahoe. Most awesome place to visit for hiking and boating. We visited echo lakes...most impressive since its only open from June until first weekend in August. We went past the upper lake, but had to turn around because of fatigue with family member. But what a nice place to explore further another time. Two days later went up eagle falls trail to eagle lake, which was beautiful,, but the wife and I left the FAM and went on too Velma lakes. Beautiful, quiet, peaceful with hardly anyone there(maybe 5 people at most). I couldn't do much more because of tendon fatigue on my right knee. I would love to post some pic's, but still trying to figure how to. Anyone know how to make an image into a smaller file to upload? When I try to do one picture, I get a notice the file is too big. Anyway, will hope to be up on san jacinto this Saturday.
towbradley
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests