by Myth » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:34 am
In my experience, it is similar to the "bicyclists on surface roads" debate. A subset of practitioners are being jerks to everybody else, and that riles up the general population against the group as a whole.
I ride my bicycle to work, obeying the rules, staying out of the ways of cars, and whatnot. But other cyclists weave between cars, don't stop at stop signs and lights, are are generally obnoxious about it. So I also get motorists buzzing me and screaming obscenities at me even when I'm out of their way in a bike lane.
Likewise, I've been strolling on trails, and in densely trafficked areas, where some people have their young kids with them, just to be almost bowled over by some fool pelting down the trail, more intent on being the man with the heartrate in the zone, or whatever, than anyone around him. If you're going to be running downhill, down a rocky path that others are climbing up to see a popular waterfall, and there are literally dozens of others on the trail - don't.
So, ban trail running in National Parks? I'd hate to see it come to pass. Just as much as I'd hate actually getting hit by a human cannonball. From the Parks' perspective, if someone gets bowled over by a trail runner and breaks some teeth and bones - who will they sue? The Park? The runner? Both?
Ideally, people wouldn't go running in areas where it isn't safe for others - for instance, winding trails where you can't stop in time if you turn a corner and there's someone there, or where there is simply a lot of hikers.
There is no clean solution because there are people who just cannot handle the "Don't be a jerk" rule.