Cougar attacks man in Perris

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Cougar attacks man in Perris

Postby halhiker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:22 pm

It's not really in the wilderness where we hike but there was a cougar attack in Perris. I don't have an irrational fear of mountain lions but I know they're out there and since I hike alone probably 90% of the time it's something I occasionally consider. It's a good thing there are enough deer and Bighorn in the local mountains to satisfy their appetites. Maybe it's time I enlist some new hiking partners. Preferably slow ones who smell like Fancy Feast.

http://www.mydesert.com/viewart/2014020 ... -traps-set
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Just carry tuna sandwiches, walk with a limp, never look behind or sideways, and keep crouching down to re-tie your shoelaces...you'll be fine.

On a serious note, though, I feel bad for the guy. He's lucky, and he probably fought back hard and faced the lion in a challenging way.

Pepper spray would most likely be effective. I've wondered if spraying it on a hat could act as a repellant, especially if a lion has ever experienced pepper spray in the past.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby climbant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm hoping my diet rich in curries, peppers, and other various spicy goodness will result in only one bite and the big cat meowing in pain.
climbant
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am
Location: La Quinta

Postby Ellen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 am

Perry wrote:Just carry tuna sandwiches, walk with a limp, never look behind or sideways, and keep crouching down to re-tie your shoelaces...you'll be fine


Lessons on how to be cougar bait :lol: Good one Grandmaster P 8)

I'm also glad the fella is OK.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby physicslord » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:05 pm

The only time I ever encountered a cougar in Riverside County was in fact very near that location. It was at Hartford Springs park. With all the human activity there I had assumed, wrongly of course, that cougars would avoid the area. It was in the middle of the afternoon too, and the animal took it's time moving back into the brush and out of my path. Needless to say I turned around and cut the hike short.
physicslord
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Postby climbant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Big cats have no natural predators nor is hunting allowed, their numbers are too many. I have seen many sets of fresh tracks in the higher elevations. Be loud.
climbant
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am
Location: La Quinta

Closer to home

Postby halhiker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm

User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby zippetydude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Strange attack. The article stated:

"Wildlife experts found no mountain lion tracks near the site."

Suppose he was wearing Nike's? Odd that there were no tracks if the area is not paved. In any case, I find these attacks unnerving. I've seen mountain lions 6 times in my trail runs, and each time the animal has fled. Hope that keeps up!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby jfr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Found this on another board:

Image
:D
User avatar
jfr
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:10 am
Location: 32N 117W


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests