There's a little finger that goes up on the west side of NF. Taking it, you can drop in after the first fall, then a short walk up a tight overgrown canyon to a second fall that's real nice.
I often wondered if Bobo was talking about HFS. I thought that he was talking about whitewater itself though because he mentions the water color from the minerals. As far as I can see that comes out of MF. He may have been there before the dams were built. SF loses most of it's water at the dam. Most of the water we see comes out of EF and lower tributaries. The date I saw on the flumes was 1930 something. I don't know if that was when they were built or when they were repaired.
He also mentions buying hay from a guy named Kitchen(SP?) who grew it up in Mission Creek. Kitchen would transport trout by horseback into WW to stock ponds that he had. It just doesn't sound like HFS.
Anyways, thats all I know and it's sketchy, sure like to find out more.
Apparently there is a fall up Grape Canyon as well.
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/longbch/B ... ation.html
They speak of Millard, but it's the Stills/Kitchen portion of the trail, not the trailhead further up SF.
A great area where all kinds of geological features come together. Tell me it's not a great place for an atmospheric port of entry. An alien invasion with machetes and orange spray paint. It really needs to be explored more cause it actually could happen.