Bighorn Mtn, Dragon's Head, Grinnell Ridge XC, etc.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Bighorn Mtn, Dragon's Head, Grinnell Ridge XC, etc.

Postby HH8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:23 am

Hikin_Jim wrote: Lost Creek Camp (whatever that might be)


That flat spot near point "T" sure looks likely, even if the nearest water was by S.

What type of camp was it supposed to be?
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am

Zé wrote:Jim, what is Grinnel Mountain track? I assume this is some old trail on an old map you found.
Yes, exactly, from this map (below) from 1971. Apparently, in 1971, you could still follow it. Now, it's pretty much non-existent for much of it's route.
Image

Zé wrote:What's going on with UVWXY? these represent old camp sites?
In my original map those points represent my route of exploration. I descended Grinnell Ridge (P, Q, R), ending up at what I called just "Big Flats" ("R"), although I suppose Grinnell Flats would be a better name. From Grinnell Flats, I went to what I call Hook Point ("S"), which is a site of one of the old camps before the 1970's restrictions were put in place. These old camps by the way are just like the present day camps: Just flat spots where it's good to camp. There were no structures or anything like that that I'm aware of. From "S" I tried to find the old Grinnell Mountain Track. I was not successful on the way in until late in the game (nearly to Lost Creek). I assumed the trail must climb a bit to get around obstacles and such and then descend to Lost Creek. Nope. It stays fairly low. But I didn't know that on the way in. Here's a more detailed plot of my route from Hook Point Camp ("A") to Lost Creek Camp ("R"). I stayed fairly high until I came to the ridge at "O" that runs about 350 true. That ridge is very doable in terms of grade, and it's fairly open in terms of vegetation. Using that ridge, I descended into Lost Creek, angling down to approximately "Q" -- where I found the old trail. I followed the trail a bit before losing it. I descended the final bit to "R" the putative location of Lost Creek Camp (again, just an area for camping). It's nice there with a small stream, but nothing remarkable. The camp area is small (although it may have been larger once), suitable for one or maybe two tents. I'm not sure why a trail was built to go there, although I have one conjecture that I hope to prove/disprove on a subsequent trip.

Lost Creek:
Image
Image

Note on the detailed plot the section of trail from "S" to "T". This is the Grinnell Mountain Track (although only a portion of it). I think what the USGS topo map is showing is just the spur to what I call Mosquito Spring. Mosquito Spring is a nasty looking, shallow water source, filled with mosquito larvae. It's the least desireable water source I've encountered in the SGW.
Image
The water has an oily sheen to it and tastes musty. I filtered it through my bandana and boiled the heck out of it before using it.
Image

Zé wrote:I had fun with that Grinnell ridge back on this hike. It was definitely hard to navigate on the way down - you can see twice I started heading down spurs of the main ridge into Lost Creek before correcting. I wonder how the direct northern ridge would be brush-wise at the lower altitude portion.
Yeah, the navigation is tricky. I had to use my compass a lot. Most trips my compass stays in its pouch and I rely on my sense of direction (which is usually fairly good) combined with terrain association. Not this trip. You just can't stay visually oriented in fairly thick forest. I did fairly well in terms of navigation although I made one noob mistake of assuming that Grinnell Flats was Hook Point when I saw an open, flat area from above. I adjusted my course based on my visual sighting without confirming my visual. Dumb. Cost me an hour possibly (well, maybe less since a lot of that hour was a snack break). :) As soon as I got to Grinnell Flats I realized my mistake. The area is too big to be the little flat area around Hook Point. Hook Point is suprsingly hard to spot from above.

I've explored the area north of Grinnell fairly extensively although not that much off trail. Just based on my trips along Fish Creek, the Lost Creek Trail, the Santa Ana River Trail, old trails, and what XC I have done, I think that north ridge of Grinnell would "go." It's pretty dry over there, so I don't think the brush will be too bad. Just a guess though. You never know until you get there.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Bighorn Mtn, Dragon's Head, Grinnell Ridge XC, etc.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 am

HH8 wrote:That flat spot near point "T" sure looks likely, even if the nearest water was by S.
Referring to my original map link, the camps of old were
"S" - Unnamed, but I call it Hook Point since it hooks east out into the canyon of Lost Creek, and
"W" - Lost Creek Camp
"Z" - is the site of modern day Grinnell Ridge Camp, sometimes also called Grinnell Mountain Camp, although I think Grinnell Ridge is the better name.

HH8 wrote:What type of camp was it supposed to be?
Just a flat spot where you could set up a tent.

HJ

Hook Point:
Image
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests