San Gorgonio, Rain or Shine

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio, Rain or Shine

Postby Sally » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 pm

As Ellen and I were making our plans for our Wednesday hike, we were a bit dismayed to hear that there was a chance of rain and T-storms. We thought it over and made several different plans for different circumstances that would keep us from getting struck by lightning or drowning in a flash flood.

We obtained a self-issue Vivian Creek permit (yay!) and were on our way. We diverted from the main trail and headed up the ridge to Dobbs. There was a minor annoyance from gnats and the humidity. As we neared Dobbs Peak we were getting some sprinkles, but the clouds didn't look threatening so we kept going. While descending from Dobbs toward the San Gorgonio ridge we got out our rain jackets. No sign of thunder - good!

We reached the trail and continued toward San G. When we got to the junction with the Vivian trail Ellen asked if I wanted to continue on to the Peak. "Sure! We've come a long way and we're so close."

At the Peak we ate our brunch in a light rain, and it was chilly. As soon as we packed up to leave it quit raining (figures). The sun even made an attempt to break through.

We made our way down, meeting a few hikers olong the way. As soon as we were in the flat Mill creek bed I somehow slipped and put a hole in my hand. I shed more blood than Ellen on this trip! There hadn't been enough rain to even make a trickle in Mill Creek.

Hamburgers had been on our minds the whole way down, so we drove up to Angeles Oaks only to find that the restaurant was closed. Bummer! We did, however drive back to Forest Falls and had great Mexican.

Thank you, Ellen, for a great day without flashfloods or lightning!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Sally » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 am

I forgot to add that this hike was a real butt-kicker for me (is there any way up San G that isn't?) I was telling Ellen that I'm always glad when the initial switchbacks are over. Then, I'm happy to be done with the loose soil on the approach to the ridge to Dobbs. Then it's nice to be done with the ridge. Then, it's a joy to finally reach the trail to San G. And of course it's great to be done with the job of going all the way back down to the trailhead. It would seem as though the joy of hiking is to be done! What kind of person finds joy in that?! I, for one, am a nut that finds exceeding joy in the whole ordeal of hiking!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: San Gorgonio, Rain or Shine

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am

Sally wrote:I somehow slipped and put a hole in my hand. I shed more blood than Ellen on this trip!
I think you two have been spending too much time with each other. :lol:

Nice TR. Sounds like a fun day (except for the blood and the restaurant being closed).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Howdy Sister Sally :)

Great trip report -- thanks for your stellar company 8)

It was a strange day -- first sweating buckets and battling gnats on the climb up to Vivian creek, then getting rained on at Dobbs, and last but not least -- getting cold hands on the traverse over to San Gorgonio. Thanks for letting me know I left my gloves in your car trunk :roll:

Looking forward to a hopefully gnat-free hike next week :D

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests