Return to Mt. Whitney

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Ellen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Howdy Lesper4 :)

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the San Jacinto Hiking Club 8)

You're going to love the Evolution Valley loop -- Evolution meadow is gorgeous and Evoluation Valley is spectacular. Sister Sally and I are hiking over Bishop Pass into Dusy basin, LeConte, and going north on the JMT late August.

Looking forward to seeing you on the trails. Hope we get better snow this year.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 pm

And people think the wilderness is dangerous! Sorry to hear about the misadventures on the road, but I'm glad you got to go and have a great time. You get in so much trail time you make me jealous!

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby HH8 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Ellen wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: That's not gas; that's cougar repellant,


I like using it as rocket boosters.
You know, Gortex breathes so well it holds in NUTHIN!
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby arocknoid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Splendid trip report. Mahvelous return to Whitney.

I'll bet y'all could hardly wait to get back on the trail, with those fresh mountain zephyrs.

BTW Ellen, even with the GI history you've mentioned on the boards before, if the current condition persists, or wanes and waxes, don't overlook that Giardia may also cause increased and noxious flatus.

smiles back atcha,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 am

Howdy All :)

When I did the Kona Ironman triathlon 30 years ago, I ate bean and cheese burritos the night before.

In the water, I had great boyancy.
On the bike, I was jet propelled and no one would even think of drafting.
On the run, I blew other people away.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 am

Howdy Z :)

I miss seeing you :cry: . Almost a year ago to the day, you and your family took care of me in Tuolumne meadows at the start of the JMT.

Howdy Arocknoid :)

Every time I type your screen name, I smile 8)

I've had giardia once (1992) due to drinking water out of Icehouse canyon and it was dreadful. Explosive gas and diarrhea, ugh :x

My "vital gasses" are triggered when I travel (long drive, sleeping in a new place) and especially when I drive up a twisty mountain road in the dark. It never happens driving those same roads later in the day. As my friends can unfortunately attest, this happens even on the early morning local hikes :oops:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:32 am

Ellen wrote:In the water, I had great boyancy.
On the bike, I was jet propelled and no one would even think of drafting.
On the run, I blew other people away.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am

Ellen wrote:"vital gasses"
That's it! :idea: Ellen is the solution to the energy crisis! Give me enough bean and cheese burritos, and I can provide power to the entire Southwest!

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 am

Ellen wrote: As my friends can unfortunately attest, this happens even on the early morning local hikes


Shouldn't that read, "As my former friends would unfortunately attest..."?

Or perhaps, "As my late friends would have attested, had they survived..."?

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Notice posted on the passenger door of Ellen's car:
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests