San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 am

Howdy All :)

Sally and I are going to attempt the San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge tomorrow (Wednesday July 18). I'll use SPOT tracking in case anyone wants to follow our progress.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... M9qss1pPNN

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 am

Ellen wrote:Howdy All :)

Sally and I are going to attempt the San Gorgonio 9 peak challenge tomorrow ( Wednesday July 18 ). I'll use SPOT tracking in case anyone wants to follow our progress.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... M9qss1pPNN

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Cool. Gonna throw in mini-Jepson too? I know you miss that one. ;)

Now, no fair using the San Bernardino or Vivian Creek Trail heads of course. Real hikers do it thusly and like so. Start and end at the South Fork trailhead. No car shuttle or a very short one from the Forsee Creek trailhead to the South Fork trailhead. Tough but doable. :twisted:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Sally » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi y'all,

Well, we did it! We got on the trail at 2:30 this morning and finished up at 4:45 this afternoon. The TR will have to wait until tomorrow as we are very wiped out!

Hi HJ - funny, I FEEL like a REAL hiker, although we cheated and started at the Vivian Creek Trailhead and ended at tha San Bernardino Peak Trailhead.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

That's no cheat

Postby arocknoid » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Well done, Sally and Ellen!

Dang, that was an early start. What a beautiful sky, and unseasonably cool temps. Looking forward to the photos.

Sometimes hiking with a goal like that can give an urgency that interferes with enjoying the experience.
And a pace which can be grueling enough to interfere with enjoying the experience. 8-p

Yay for you both.
Plus, you've had enough recent leisurely hiking thereabouts that you can zip along on a speedy peak bagging trek. Is this the time that Ellen could quote Jesse V, "I ain't got time to bleed!"

cheers,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby Wild » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 am

Good job ladies!!
Wild
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 am
Location: San Diego

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 am

Sally wrote:Hi y'all,

Well, we did it! We got on the trail at 2:30 this morning and finished up at 4:45 this afternoon. The TR will have to wait until tomorrow as we are very wiped out!

Hi HJ - funny, I FEEL like a REAL hiker, although we cheated and started at the Vivian Creek Trailhead and ended at tha San Bernardino Peak Trailhead.
Good on ya!

Just joshing you a bit about the loop I mapped out (of course!). I did a variant of that loop, but I did it as a 2 1/2 day backpack. :lol: You could do it in one day, but that would be a pretty tough hike.

How come you started at Viv and ended at SB? Isn't it easier to do it the other way around both in terms of the hike and in terms of emplacing the car shuttle? Just curious. (of course coming down Viv is no fun on the knees).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am

Howdy All :)

Sally will write the TR since this is her first 9 Peak Challenge 8)

We started really early to give ourselves ample time to complete the 9 peaks, have dinner at the Oaks and drive home in the daylight.

It was a gorgeous day -- wonderful views from the summits and along the San Gorgonio backbone.

Howdy HJ :)

Regarding going "up" the San Gorgonio backbone -- pyschologically, I've always thought I was going "down hill" when we bag San Gorgonio first :wink: :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 am

Ellen wrote:pyschologically, I've always thought I was going "down hill" when we bag San Gorgonio first :wink: :lol:
Well, there you go. Only eight "minor" :shock: peaks to go after that. :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests