Momyer Loop

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Momyer Loop

Postby Ellen » Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Howdy All :)

Sally, Perry A and I headed up Momyer about 5:45 AM. Everytime I start on this trail I wonder who decided on the route -- I feel like I'm wandering around all over until I start climbing up the ridge :lol: This was Perry's first time and Sally's second time hiking this route.

The wildflowers on lower Momyer were esquisite. We headed up the old trace trail past the burn area and starting switchbacking up the ridge through the forest. Then the trail cuts to the left of the ridge and starts climbing up through overgrown brush -- Manglenita, Stinkapen and F---thorn. Since my legs are still bear the scars from C2C, I donned the bottoms of my convertable pants.

Above 9 K, the brush really got thick, grabbed us and impeded our climb --just what I want on a steep trail. The brush also kept untying my bootlaces, although at least that gave us a good reason to stop and recover 8) Finally, we wound around to the right side of the ridge and started the long traverse beneath East San Bernardino peak over to the ridge.

We headed east along the ridge trail, then climbed up Anderson and enjoyed a very pleasant lunch on the summit. Made our way back down to the ridge trail and headed over to Dollar Saddle. There were sections of snow covering the trail near Sheilds peak but nothing dangerous. On the way down from Dollar Saddle, we ran into the only other hikers we saw all day on Alger Creek. We switchbacked down the ridge and crossed the first creek -- no wildflowers yet :(

There's definately been a lot of work done on Alger creek since my last two loop hikes in 2010 and 2011. The brush has been cut back from the trail, trees have been removed and eroded sections have been repaired. Thanks to the SGWA trail crew for their incredible work. As we continued to descend, it became warmer -- summer is definately around the corner. At least the bugs weren't out yet.

We reached the intersection for the old Dobbs trail and headed down. Perry vocalized what we all felt at that point -- "Is this descent ever going to END?" Before too long, we were back down at Mill creek and made our way back to our cars at the trailhead.

After a sumptous lunch (cheeseburgers for Sally and I and Cobb salad for Perry at the Oaks), Sally took me back to my car at the Mill Creek Ranger Station. We walked inside to find out when Vivian would be open and viola! -- we ran into ranger Ed and discovered Vivian is open NOW :D Grabbed a permit before heading home. Looking forward to my next visit to the San Gorgonio wilderness.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Sally » Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi folks, it looks like wildflowers on the lower part of Momyer are in their prime now. In addition to the lupin, paintbrush, canterbury bells, and wallflowers, there is a tiny blue flower growing on airy stems up to 2' tall, subtle but charming. I don't know what it is for sure, but after doing a little research I think it may be some kind of gilia. I wish I'd taken a closer look so I could give a more detailed description. Anyone here know what flower I'm talking about?

Great day, terrific company! Can't wait for Vivian - yay!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Momyer Loop

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Ellen wrote:Manglenita, Stinkapen and F---thorn.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"I calls it as I sees it" -- Ellen :wink:

Since my legs are still bear the scars from C2C, I donned the bottoms of my convertable pants.
If there's no blood, it's not Ellen. :wink:

We headed up the old trace trail past the burn area
How bad was the burn and does it affect the trail much?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi HJ, The burn area is pretty extensive. It starts soon after you get into the pines. Fortunately I did not find it too depressing as I was enjoying the wildflowers. The firefighters made some extra trails that threw us off a little on a hike this winter, but now the actual trail is obvious. There are parts of the trail that traverse on loose dirt with ashes mixed in, and it's kind of dusty. There are some big holes in the ground where trees and root balls burned.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi, Sally,

Thanks for the trail update. I'm planning on hitting this one some time in the next several months.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest