Perry A, Cindy and I got an early start (6 AM) to beat the crowds. I carried an American flag bandana to honor those past and present who serve our country. Went up Register Ridge to the Devil's Backbone trail and bagged Harwood (Perry's first time). We enjoyed checking out the equipment (earthquake monitoring?) before heading up to the summit. Perry helped a couple of folks who wanted to descend the Bowl but were headed down the Backbone.
It was a beautiful morning -- no wind and not too hazy. Went down the Ski hut trail and encountered numerous folks, including Jackie Yaris' meet-up group. When we arrived back at Manker, it was a zoo. The forest service was ticketing cars without passes and servicing the scary, smelly porta potty. We were glad to be heading down the road before the masses.
I went to the Rancho REI to return some items -- the commotion in the store made Manker look tame by comparison. Finally got home and snuck in a nap before enjoying a sumptous Memorial Day barbecue at my sister's house.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
