Big Draw to Jepson with a Calikocat

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Big Draw to Jepson with a Calikocat

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 am

Howdy All :)

Jim (Calicokat) and I have been eyeing the Big Draw for several weeks. We went up on Monday. Made good time to Southfork meadows, then headed up the right side of Christmas tree hill. Snow was nice and firm -- we used microspikes. We passed the east shoulder of Charleton and made our way up and down the ridges and gullies of Moraine Land to the Jepson bowl. Donned crampons and axe and headed up.

Jim lead the way -- making nice steps for me. We made good time up to the right side of the cornice that always exists at the top of the Big Draw. Took off our crampons and donned microspikes before tagging the Jepson summit and enjoying lunch. Then, we headed along the ridge over to San Gorgonio. Although the forecast was for 10 mph winds, there was a steady wind of 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.

Tagged San Gorgonio then headed down to find a good glissading spot. We downclimbed until we reached one of the snow tongues of the north chutes. Jim went first to check out the conditions and I followed. It was immediately noticeable that the snow was icy and unforgiving -- completely different from my two glissades last week. I went very slowly as I didn't like the conditions and my butt hurt from bouncing on the butt track.

When the incline decreased, we couldn't keep going. Walked down to the flat area and donned snowshoes, then headed back over the ridges and gullies to the cross country ski route to the east of Charleton. The snow was bad -- I broke through the icy crust several times into brush. Once we wound up on Christmas tree hill, it got worse. As Jim noted, he felt like we were negotiating land mines. We had to take off our snowshoes before reaching the trail and post holed our way back to the stream crossings. Ugh -- I hate having to work going down hill :?

It was great to finally be on Terra Firma -- we could actually walk normally back to Jim's truck. He headed home and I grabbed a delicous meal at the Oaks before following suit.

Hopefully, this system and the one predicted for Saturday will improve conditions so that we can enjoy a few more snow climbs.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Sounds nice (except for the post holing). Was it actually better to go without snow shoes? Is that why you took them off?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Howdy Jim :)

It was a real mixed bag as we dropped into South Fork meadows -- we couldn't find enough continuous snow -- we were snowshoeing over meadows, dirt with rocks, etc.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy Jim :)

It was a real mixed bag as we dropped into South Fork meadows -- we couldn't find enough continuous snow -- we were snowshoeing over meadows, dirt with rocks, etc.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ah, gotcha.

I'm hoping to get somewhere out that way in a couple of weeks. Haven't decided on exactly where yet. Got three options:
1. A loop around Grinnell Mtn starting at the Lost Creek TH
2. A base camp at Dry Lake with a side trip over to Bighorn, Dragon's Head, and Gorgonio.
3. A trip up the old Momyer Creek Trail (the abandoned, upper section), and then returning down the Falls Creek Trail.

Might have to just do trip #1 since it's the easiest and I'm so out of shape :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Sally » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:55 am

Sounds like a great day, Ellen (despite the inconvenience of the fickle snow in South fork Meadows.) Nice work, both of you!

Missed you a bunch today!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Ellen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Howdy Sister Sally :)

I missed you too :cry: I'm so accustomed to our Wednesday hikes that this week just didn't feel right.

Howdy HJ :)

I vote for number 2. I think you'll be able to camp in a dry area but still have enough snow to enjoy wandering. Whatever you do, I know I'll love your trip report 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

cron