South Fork to San Gorgonio 03-30-12

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

South Fork to San Gorgonio 03-30-12

Postby James » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Got a pre dawn start with a slight but chilly breeze. There was much less snow at the parking lot than what I was hoping for after the snow last Sunday. But this winter has been so dry that it wasn't a surprise.

Even in the dark the weather warmed quickly and the trail was dirt, mud, some running water, and in places swampy. Yep, it's melting. Just some patches all the way to the Grinnell junction. Then steady but not deep snow to the Dry Lake/Dollar Lake junction.

After that it was snowshoe conditions all the way to the ridge. Beautiful blue skies. The usual chilly breeze on top wasn't too strong. The south side of the ridge doesn't have much snow on it, just some ice patches along the trail.

The summit has snow on it, which was nice. Had a sandwich, enjoyed the views.

Skiing the descent would have been a ton of fun. Soft and powdery near the ridge. The weather got warmer on the descent and glissading was just plain funny. Ten feet and sink. Push with my arms, get going, sink again. Like trying to paddle a sinking canoe. Oh to have one of those round snow saucers.

Near the bottom of the chute ran into calicokat on his way up. Hope you had a nice hike.

T-shirt and snowshoes back to the Dollar/Dry junction. Took off the snowshoes but left the gaiters on to act as splash guards and mud flaps. All in all a very fun day.

Photos: http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/WPSMB/x0%20San%20Gorgonio%2003-30-2012/?start=all
James
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Postby Sally » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi James - Nice TR. Your glissading description was right on! Glad you got up there while the going is still good. Your pictures look a lot like mine (which I hope to post soon) and I think I saw some of Ellen's and my snowshoe tracks from Wednesday in one of your pics.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: South Fork to San Gorgonio 03-30-12

Postby HH8 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 pm

James wrote: glissading was just plain funny.


Image
one of your pix was right where I had some screamin good glissading last year. It's sure much drier now!
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby sdtrackrunner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 am

Image

Anyone else see those crown lines on Jepson? Very useful information James, thanks!!
sdtrackrunner
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Postby James » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks Sally, after reading Ellen's TR from Thursday I knew those were your tracks. Was a nice day.

HH8, you're right. That chute is normally a great glissade spot. At least once you're past the rocks. This year there is an upper rock band then a distance then a second set of rocks. After that it's the normal good runout. Glissading wasn't impossible, just a little mushy.

sdtrackrunner, no problem. I had planned to do the farthest left chute but when I approached the Dollar/Dry split I started thinking about Jepson direct route. I snowshoed my way closer to get a look at Jepson. One look and I kept going toward the north chutes.
James
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

cron