Shin's (Mr. Mt. Baldy) 200th ascent

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Shin's (Mr. Mt. Baldy) 200th ascent

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Howdy All :)

Went from the angelic (Caramba) to the diabolic (Baldy) last Saturday. Lance and I started hiking up the Bear Canyon trail about 5:20 AM after arranging a car shuttle. The mosquitos and knats were out in force -- we've never experienced anything that bad before. Bugs finally abated after crossing the stream -- then we just had to deal with humidity and heat.

I haven't been on this trail in the summer since 2007 when I went with Cy. It is every bit as difficult as I remembered. Hit the summit about 9 AM and were pleasently surprised to find the Baldy Breakfast Club (BBC) and other familiar faces awaiting the arrival of Shin, who was celebrating his 200th ascent. Ernie had come up Bear Canyon ahead of us, the BBC came up the Bowl trail. Talk about serendipity. Congratulations Shin!

We started heading down Devil's Backbone and encountered a large group of people (Aetherians) who were coming up for a world peace rally on Mt. Harwood. Very cool 8) By the time we reached the Ski Lodge, it was 90 degrees. I grabbed a Diet Coke before we headed down the road to our car. I know it's hot when I'm continually wiping the sweat out of my eyes going downhill. Reached Manker about 1 PM -- 95 degrees.

I think I'll save future trips up Baldy for cooler weather and head back to San G and San J for flowing streams and shade.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi, Ellen,

Sounds like a good hike albeit hot.

Out of curiosity, about how many Aetherians were there?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby EMan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 pm

For some reason, (e-mail), I thought Shin was also planning on summiting via Bear Canyon. I was somewhat disappointed he didn't get to see what I put up in his honor, but I'll get over it! :cry:
And Ellen, either you had your head down, or the wind had already done it's thing, haha:

Image

Shin carried the flag he received when he became a citizen to the summit.
What a statement.

I was honored to finally meet and spend some time hiking with an extraordinary human being. It's no wonder he had so many friends waiting to share in his special moment.
Thank you Shin and friends for letting me be part of the celebration.
"After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." -- Nelson Mandela
User avatar
EMan
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: WeHo (LA)

Postby James » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 am

Eman, how did you get that rock to balance?? Nicest cairn anywhere. And it photographs well. Nice job. Hope it stays around until winter, will be cool to see it in the snow. It was nice meeting you. What a great group. Ellen, very nice to see you again too. Summit parties are the best.

Shin, what can I say that hasn't been said over and over. Great accomplishment. You are capable of a great many things my friend. Always looking forward to next adventure. See you soon.

James
James
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Shin's (Mr. Mt. Baldy) 200th ascent

Postby neverwashasbeen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:18 am

Here's some more on the day from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 7230.story
User avatar
neverwashasbeen
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 am
Location: Palm Springs


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest