Car camping mattress

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Florian » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby KathyW » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 pm

KathyW
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby Rick M » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 pm

I've been out in the summer when it was just too hot to sleep on any type of mattress while the hammock was A-OK. In the winter they really need a pad as the circulation under can be too cool with just a sleeping bag. For wet conditions they keep you off the ground and dry (need a roof tarp) and especially if you're scared of snakes and spiders and scorpions. and DWA.

I have also tied them up between ball hitches on car bumpers (being close to the ground watch your axe), and have carried two six foot long poles to hang my hammock on when I knew I was going to have a hammer with me. When rock climbing, I've used climbing gear to secure it in rock, and I've even stretched my hammock between test stands out at FAR.
Do a search for free standing hammocks, for example

http://www.practicalsports.com/abo-gear.html

Rick
Rick M
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Postby Florian » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:23 pm

KathyW wrote:Here's a foam one that rolls up

Thanks Kathy! I'm actually liking the looks of the Cabela deluxe camp bed. I always worry about the Therm-a-Rest pads springing a leak. But on the other hand i've used mine for over 20 years with no punctures so perhaps my worry is groundless.

Rick M wrote:I've been out in the summer when it was just too hot to sleep on any type of mattress while the hammock was A-OK.

Makes sense. When it's warm i sleep in my open truck bed. But otherwise i just like a tent. My little home-away-from-home.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby Florian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:35 am

Decided to go with an air mattress after all. Big Agnes has a nice looking one-person pad. 20% off at EMS through tomorrow too!

► http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3661836

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby Florian » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Big Agnes pad just arrived. Testing out on the tile floor at home i like! Really takes the pressure off hip-joint when lying on my side much better than current Therm-a-rest pad does. I'm planning to test it out Thursday night at Marrion Mtn campground then hike trail to peak on Friday.

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby skunkboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 am

Florian, good luck with that pad, and have a fun hike on Friday. Marion Mtn. trail is a grunt, but it sure is beautiful over there. On Friday Rick and I will be driving up to meet Tom at Shepards Pass trailhead. I think I'm going to wish I had a Big Agnes instead of a Ridge Rest, when I get up there. Have fun.

Pat
User avatar
skunkboy
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Yucca Valley

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest