13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat May 22, 2010 12:48 am

13 year old Jordan Romero of Big Bear has summited Everest
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/ ... p?id=19380

http://www.jordanromero.com
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Hikoholic » Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for the post, Cy... I hadn't heard about this. And I thought I was hot stuff at 13 when I hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls! I was a roadrunner then, but after a few decades am now a tortoise, as you so aptly reminded me last week!! Hope you and everyone have a great hike on the "Full Moon Romp" next weekend...wish I could join you. Maybe in the fall.

Hikoholic Tortoise
I can't think when I concentrate!
User avatar
Hikoholic
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:32 pm
Location: Orange County

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

Have you ever wondered how difficult it is to rescue someone near the top of a mountain that helicopters cant reach because of the altitude.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma ... taineering

http://bonitanorris.blogspot.com
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Lcpl Hughes » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 am

I found this while I was looking for maximum elevation for a helicopter..


Mount Everest
On May 14th, 2005, an Ecureuil/AStar AS 350 B3 helicopter operated by Eurocopter was reported to have landed on Mount Everest (29,035 feet). The landing is in dispute. The listed service ceiling of the rotorcraft is between 17 and 18 thousand feet, which is considerably short of the summit altitude.

An unmanned high altitude helicopter is nearing completion. TGR Helicorp in New Zeland has designed the "Alpine Wasp" specifically for rescue evolutions on Everest. The machine's diesel engine will give it an operating ceiling in excess of 30,000 feet.

The CH-47 Chinook twin rotor helicopter is used by the USAF to rescue climbers on Mount Denali (McKinley) in AK. It can reach an altitude in excess of 19000 to land at an elevation of around 18000. The biggest problem at that point is restarting the engines, so a special storage device directs pure oxygen into the engine inlet to restart.
Lcpl Hughes
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 am
Location: Lost in never ever land

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue May 25, 2010 9:12 am

That was interesting Lcpl. Here is a link that tells one all about it.
http://planetmountain.com/english/News/ ... eyid=37416
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

13 year old Jordan Romero summits Everest

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I was amazed to read about 12 year old Matt Moniz climbing everything in sight. Here is his website
http://climb7.com/Blog

http://mattmoniz.com
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby hvydrt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 am

Looks like another parent trying to use their kids to gain celebrity stats. What 12 year old is concerned about raising awareness for pulmonary arterial hypertension?

Kids should be out having fun with their friends in the summer, not traveling the country to promote their parents agenda and gain corporate sponsors.
hvydrt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: yes

Postby Mountaingoat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 am

Agreed and very well said!!

The "Goat"
Mountaingoat
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Rancho Bernardo/ San Diego


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests