Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.
by Ellen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am
Howdy All
Lance and I left around the civilized time of 6 AM after completing a car stagger. It was sad to see the dead trees from the 2008 fire, though I certainly didn't miss the brush on the climb up to 7200 ft. I love the section and views from 8000 to 9400 and am always happy to see the summit (9:30 AM) after skirting around west Baldy. We had lunch (breakfast?) and headed down the Sierra hut trail for a change rather than going down Devil's Backbone to the road. Not a pleasant descent -- my quads are sore today. Whereas we didn't encounter anyone on Bear Canyon, there were a ton of people coming up the Sierra hut trail. It was a nice change but now I'm ready to return to the hikes on the other two saints.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by
Ellen on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Ellen
-
- Posts: 2578
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
- Location: Riverside, CA
by tinaballina » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am
hey pain sister, glad you are back and glad to hear you and Lance had a good hike.

-

tinaballina
-
- Posts: 1107
- Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
- Location: Riverside
-
by Ellen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:17 pm
Howdy ZippetyChick Tina
Thanks -- glad to be home. I was in Colorado Springs from Wed to Fri for a sports nutrition workshop at the US Olympic Training Center. It was beautiful there -- I wanted to leave the meeting and head up Pike's Peak
Look forward to seeing you and other hiking fools on Skyline this weekend.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
-
Ellen
-
- Posts: 2578
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
- Location: Riverside, CA
by AlanK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:24 pm
Ellen wrote:I was in Colorado Springs from Wed to Fri for a sports nutrition workshop at the US Olympic Training Center. It was beautiful there
Did you see any saucer-shaped balloons?
-

AlanK
-
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
- Location: Glendale, CA
by lilbitmo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 pm
AlanK wrote:Ellen wrote:I was in Colorado Springs from Wed to Fri for a sports nutrition workshop at the US Olympic Training Center. It was beautiful there
Did you see any saucer-shaped balloons?
Alan are you back to "Selling Flying Saucers" to the unsuspecting?
I did see a shooting star (or an alien ship) cut across the sky above Timber/Telegraph and Thunder ridgelines when I got to the top of the bowl friday night just after 11 PM - does that count?

-

lilbitmo
-
- Posts: 550
- Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:37 pm
by AlanK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm
lilbitmo wrote:Alan are you back to "Selling Flying Saucers" to the unsuspecting?
Merely making fun of
the suspect. (OK, I admit that fort Collins is not Colorado Springs.)
-

AlanK
-
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
- Location: Glendale, CA
by Ellen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:40 pm
Howdy Alan
Are you coming out to join the insanity on Nov 7? Would love to see you and Eric again.
Howdy Patrick
I told Lance about your moonlight Baldy Bowl hike as we were headed down that trail. I'm adding it to my "hiking wish list." Hope to see you on Nov 7 as well.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
-
Ellen
-
- Posts: 2578
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
- Location: Riverside, CA
by AlanK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:19 pm
Ellen wrote:Are you coming out to join the insanity on Nov 7?
It is not looking good for me. I am getting back from a trip on the evening of the 6th and have some other voices speaking for my time.
Eric is getting into the peak of cross country season. I figure that he may hit some hiking trails after Thanksgiving.
Last edited by
AlanK on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

AlanK
-
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
- Location: Glendale, CA
by Ellen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:07 am
Howdy Alan,
Bummer

who else will be able to talk about the number of foot pounds that two Skylines will require

You'll both be missed.
Hope to see you and Eric on the trails later this Fall.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
-
Ellen
-
- Posts: 2578
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
- Location: Riverside, CA
Return to Outdoors-Related Topics
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 6 guests