I’ll say this: Strange things happen above 13,000’. Everything seemed normal up to Trail Camp…
…Then, as I was tooling along on the 97 switchbacks, all of a sudden a bright yellow dot appears in the center of my field of vision. Odd. I didn’t know bright yellow dots lived on Mt. Whitney.
It politely stayed only in the center of my vision, so I was able to keep going as long as I used my peripheral vision. This was a little tricky, as I had to turn my head slightly sideways to be able to see. I probably looked like one of those crazed wildebeests on the Nat Geo channel that has a worm in its brain, staggering along the trail with my head twisting side to side.
After about 30 minutes, it turned to a brilliant lavender line. I must say, I preferred the lavender line. If I turned my head just right, I could underline things when I looked at them. It made them seem extra important.
Sadly, it disappeared after just a few minutes and my vision returned to normal.
Well, almost.
A little while later, as I took a drink from my camelbak, which meant I went about 5 seconds without inhaling, things went dark. (I could be a former president - I get buzzed from not-inhaling!) You know how it looks when a cloud suddenly covers the sun, and everything goes slightly dark for a bit? Well, every time I took a drink, everything would go dark. I’d pant a little harder, and everything would come right back. I’ve never had a brightness control for my eyeballs before! It did this most of the way on up to the peak, and each time things went dark, I would feel dizzy and my legs felt very heavy. It all seemed very innocuous. I didn’t drink as I passed the windows, as I didn’t want to take the quick route down.
Anyway, I’ve been up Whitney a few times, but never had the altitude provide such entertainment.
Has anyone here had odd symptoms like that at altitude?
All in all, a perfect autumn trip up an amazing mountain.
z
