phpBB software

Web site updates, comments, ideas for this message board.

phpBB software

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Perry, are you happy with phpBB software? (A friend asked me to help him set up a discussion board to replace a blog that had more postings than he cared to moderate.) My goal, if feasible, would be to run phpBB on an Apache server with PHP5 and MySQL. Do you have any regrets about using phpBB? Should I jump in with latest phpBB3 release?
Rob

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 am

phpBB3 Gold: yes! It's great. It even has options for high resolution photo attachments and enabling visual confirmation for guest posters. The visual confirmation (captcha) is fairly advanced, and it's contained in one file so it can easily be customized. The admin menu is a little complicated but not beyond all hope for someone who likes to figure things out.

phpBB2: Well, I had to install that cats and cars thing because the damn spambots got through the original captcha so easily. Lots of people are having trouble with phpBB2-to-phpBB3 conversions, hence the reason this board is still phpBB2. Generally speaking, mods, customizing, etc. is a pain in the ass because of everything that can go wrong. I had to actually fix a coding bug in the cats and cars mod way back when it first came out. It was frustrating because I did everything instructed but it still wasn't working. It had to do with using caps on a GD library reference. My server didn't like caps. The author's server interpreted it the same as lowercase.

Custom styles and banners are easy to do, and the original installation is simple.

This new board is phpBB3:
http://www.desertneighbors.com/

Your friend is welcome to do test posts. Anything to keep the board active. I still haven't gotten around to promoting it outside of the Internet.

There might be conversion software for your friend's blog, but I don't know for sure. You can search the forums:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/

Troubleshooting does require time and thought, but they are very helpful, and phpBB is free!

In short, yes I love phpBB! It's one of the greatest things of all time. Seriously. Free open speech using free software.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:10 am

Perry, thanks for the phpBB report, and thank you for everything you do for this MSJOR forum. :D
Rob

Return to Announcements & Feedback