Change Default Graphic Design?

Web site updates, comments, ideas for this message board.

Change Default Style?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:51 pm

No. Keep the phpBB standard.
No votes
Yes. To be similar to C2C Hiking Guide.
No votes
Yes, but I have another idea....
No votes

Total votes : 0

Change Default Graphic Design?

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 pm

A friend looked at this forum in disgust and told me it's all boring and corporate-looking. :D (He's a creative artist.) I explained that it's the default phpBB style. But now I've been thinking...it does look kind of business-like with the blue and white and structured look. Not that *all* corporations are evil, but some people go outdoors as a mental escape from work. Should I change the default look? Please keep in mind that registered users can always customize or revert back to the old style. This would only affect what you see when you're not logged in and what new people and lurkers see. I was thinking of making it match the C2C online hiking guide. Thoughts?

If change is preferred, it will take me a few weeks because I'm going on a road trip and doing stuff. I do plan to upgrade my webhosting soon and switch everything to www.mtsanjacinto.info instead of using url forwarding with frames.

Edit: removed Sticky status, as this is now an old topic.
Last edited by Perry on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby AlanK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:50 pm

I have nothing against the existing format. I would not favor changes that made it cuter while trading off clarity, ease of use, etc. But, if you have an urge to change things, I say go for it! I trust your judgement. :D
AlanK

Postby JayO » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:07 pm

I agree with Alan - the existing format works for me.
JayO

Postby HikeUp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:23 pm

I think most people can usually adjust to a new "skin" quickly, but if you change the functionality then it's a different story. The current functionality is very user friendly (intuitive, easy to follow threads, etc.) so if whatever you implement isn't as friendly, you might end up turning away new or casual users.

BTW (at the risk of embarrassment), what is that a picture of in the banner at the top of each page - I can't quite make it out? :oops:
HikeUp

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm of the same mind it seems: as long as I can exchange info and make Demonic Cougar jokes, I'm good.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Mike P » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 am

I like the current design. The only improvement that I would suggest is perhaps changing the blue motif to a more earth tone. SmugMug has good color combinations...
Mike P

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:04 am

HikeUp wrote:...what is that a picture of in the banner at the top of each page - I can't quite make it out? :oops:

:D You are not the only person to ask that. Perhaps you are in the majority!

When I get back from San Francisco and possibly Oregon or climbing Shasta, I'll replace that with something more recognizable in low res. (Any ideas would be appreciated....)

As far as a new graphic design, it sounds like it's best to try it as a custom option that registered users can manually choose, get some feedback, then use that feedback to get an idea about changing the default style assigned to the board....
Perry
Site Admin

Postby magikwalt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:36 am

This site has great clarity and readability. I like the present layout and design...but then I like corporations also!!!

walt
magikwalt

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 am

I've got no problem with the format or layout, I think it is very useable. I only would change the color--the blue is perhaps a bit too corporate. i think something more "earth-toned"--greens, browns, etc--would be preferable.

But let's all remember that Grandmaster P does this totally out of the goodness of his heart and for FREE. Thank you!!!! We love this site no matter what color it is!!!
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby phydeux » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:47 am

The current BB may be a "plain Jane" format, but it does work well and is easy to navigate. Only suggestion I'd make is change the image (its looking toward San Gorgonio, if I'm not mistaken). How about one of these:

a picture from the SG Pass/Interstate 10 looking up at San J's impressive north face. . . .

. . . or . . .

. . . the north face shot rotated with a few other shots that cover all the San J climates - maybe one of a snowshoer during the winter, a hiker in the summertime forest, and a hiker in a desert environment (such as on C2C).
phydeux

Next

Return to Announcements & Feedback