Forum Categories?

Web site updates, comments, ideas for this message board.

Forum Categories?

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm wondering how other people would like the board to be organized. I've noticed some people posting San Bernardino topics in the main area, possibly because the other section is less popular. Should there be just one outdoors category, like "Mt. San Jacinto, etc." ? Would you like a separate category for non-outdoors topics?
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby KathyW » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 am

Just my opinion, but there are forums/message boards for the San Gorgonio area and for the San Gabriels already and most people that post here know about them; so there's really no need to post trip reports for those areas on this forum. I used to post the same info on a bunch of forums, but I finally realized I was just being redundant.

For other areas that aren't covered by their own forums/message boards, it's nice to keep the posts in a separate section and not clutter the San Jacinto/Santa Rosa Section.
KathyW

Postby AlanK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 am

I like having separate forums for San Jacinto and Other Areas.

This site is unique in its coverage of the San Jacinto Mountains.

The San Gabriel Mountains Web site does a good job of covering that area. There are enough posts here to argue for keeping that coverage here. However, this site is not the main one covering the San Gabriels.

The SGW site is active and popular but it is not particularly useful as an archive. Again, this site gets enough posts on the San Bernardino Mountains to argue for keeping that coverage here. On thie other hand, it is not the main, or at least not the only, site for that area.

So, I would keep one forum here for the San Jacintos and one for "other."

I agree that people often post in the wrong forum. Perhaps some reminders would help. Also, posts could be moved to the more appropriate section.
AlanK

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 am

The simple organization (only four categories) that we have now is good. People mis-post probably because they're either not aware of the issue or aren't being careful, but such mis-postings are not an indication that there's a problem with the categories.

On a lot of boards the moderators or admin will just move a post if it's in the wrong category.

Speaking of the San Gabriels board, it's a good board, but sometimes I wonder if maybe a few categories that are seldom used could be collapsed into some of the other categories. Such simplification would be an improvement I would think.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks for the responses. I moved a few posts.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Return to Announcements & Feedback