Rechargeable GPS/Altimeter Watches

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Rechargeable GPS/Altimeter Watches

Postby Pyrodude » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I do not own any GPS hiking equipment (other than my phone) and I'd like advice on recommended devices. I'd like it priced at $500 or less, have maximum use time between charges, and work well for giving me accurate distance covered and altitude. There are so many options out there that it is confusing. I'll welcome anyone's and everyone's input!
Pyrodude

Re: Rechargeable GPS/Altimeter Watches

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I'd recommend the Polar M400 watch. It's actually a heart rate monitor if you use the chest strap, but the gps is excellent and it's very convenient to wear full time. I wear it as a watch so I don't have to remember to bring it with me. It will go for weeks without needing a charge if you don't use the GPS mode. I usually put it on a charger when I'm driving to my trail, then turn it on and go when I get there. The battery will last about 10 hours if it's fully charged when you start on your route. You can download all the info using the Polar app on your phone, then access a full map with gps, elevation, speed, etc., not to mention heart rate. The downloads are kept as training events on a calendar, so if you want to go back and review a trip, if you even have a slight idea of when you went you can find it online in a few seconds. Super convenient, tons of features, and you can get one used on ebay for less than $100, much less $500. I paid $55 for mine, and it's great.

z
zippetydude

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books