Gear Review: Deuter Airlite 28

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:29 am

I've been very impressed with this backpack, after trying packs from Gregory, Osprey, Mountain Hardware and others.

What are the best packs you've used?
63ChevyII

Re: Gear Review: Deuter Airlite 28

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25 pm

63ChevyII wrote:I've been very impressed with this backpack, after trying packs from Gregory, Osprey, Mountain Hardware and others.

What are the best packs you've used?

So it comes with a pack cover? Nice although pack covers don't work in serious rains. The water gets in around one's shoulders and back. A poncho is actually one of the most effective means of keeping one's pack dry although ponchos have other drawbacks (floppy in the wind, can't maneuver well in them in brush or on rock, etc.).

My favorite packs so far have been from Gossamer Gear. Less than 2 lbs for a 65 liter pack. The "conventional" manufacturers are frequently twice that.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:48 pm

I usually use a cheap poncho or my Gatewood Cape over me and my pack if I'm going to spend an extended time in the rain. My walk to and from my office is only a half mile each way, so the pack cover works for that. :D
63ChevyII

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Ha! No, for 1/2 mile, a plastic bag will do. :lol:

So, I didn't see a tech specs section on your review (weight, materials, size(s), colors, price, etc.). Did I miss it? I'm pretty blind. 8)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks HJ, I added specs. When there's rain in the forecast, I'll grab an umbrella and toss my laptop and work stuff into the Deuter instead of using my usual backpack. I've found that when I use the umbrella and my normal backpack, my stuff still gets damp.

Do you typically use the same pack for all of your hikes and cinch down the compression straps when the volume isn't needed? I will probably used my SMD Fusion 65 like this to get some use out of it. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to work for well for backpacking trips.
63ChevyII

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Yeah an umbrella + pack cover works as long as it's not too windy. When it really gets down and dirty, it's best to just get a trash compactor bag (or similar) and use that as a pack liner.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:57 am

I have some nyloflume bags left over from when we had a termite problem. They've worked well so far!

I need to check out your GG pack at some point.
63ChevyII

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Nylofume bags are prized by ultralighters since they are, well, light. About 1/2 the weight of trash compactor bag if I recall correctly. However, they don't hold up quite as well as a trash compactor bag in my experience. Nice shape though. Trash compactor bags aren't quite tall enough for my pack.

As for my GG pack, really enjoying it. I went out this weekend for an overnighter, and I got out the door under 18 lbs including food, fuel, and water. That's less than half of what I would have carried, weight wise, ten years ago.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books